PDA

View Full Version : Detailing guide using Meguires and Mothers

EVOVIII
05-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Hi guys,

I`m new to the detailing subject, I just ordered a PC polisher to be exact it is a Sonus SFX Polisher Kit from this web site, unfortunately did not have too much time to read and find out what products are the best to be used with this setup to get the best result. I know the store near by that sells many Maguires and Mother products. So what I`m looking for is a correct choice of product for my long weekend project. The test bunny will be a `98 Black BMW 328. So far I know that I have to use the Dawn dish soap to was the car with and then clay bar the living hell out of it. The car is in preaty bad shape it was not waxed probably 3 years. It has a lot of swirl marks which I want to get rid of as well and bring the shine back. So here comes the question which products should I use if I wanted to choose one of those two. Lets say that the car was already washed and clayed.

Maguires: (this is what I have read, please correct the order or the product if needed)

1. #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish

2. #80 Speed Glaze

3. #21 Synthetic Sealant

4. ?? (anything else after synthetic sealant)

5. ?? (anything else after step #4)

Mothers ?? On this one I have no clue where to start and with what, if you could break this for me like I did the Meguires that would be great. Thanks in advance.

awahl63
05-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Skip the Dawn and pick up some Meguiars Gold Class Wash or Duragloss Wash. Process looks great so far.

imported_themightytimmah
05-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Mothers PowerPolish orange pad

Mothers PowerPolish white pad

Mothers FX Synwax

Mothers carnauba gold paste

I think Megs would be a much better choice, as you can get their professional line but youre stuck with Mother`s retail line, which doesn`t offer as much in the way of paint correction. You might also want to consider adding in Megs #7 glaze under 21... #7 really adds a lot on black, IMHO.

ron231
05-24-2007, 01:27 AM
#80 leaves behind some oils and so does #7 which is great for a carnauba, but I own both #80 and #7 and I can tell you for a fact that #21 barely bonds over either of these. I did tests on my hood and #21 lost slickness and beading after ONE shower (was on there for about a week total before the rain, with no washes during that week).

On the other hand, #21 does bond alright over bare paint but really, I see no reason to use it now that I have discovered #845.

845 lasts longer, goes on just as easy, is cheaper, and IMO looks much nicer than #21.

the other pc
05-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I disagree. Most of my friends are using #21 over #80 and #7 and they’ve worked perfectly together for us.

PC.

EVOVIII
05-24-2007, 03:00 PM
so here it is what I have so far

Meguires:

1. #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish

2. #80 Speed Glaze

3. #21 Synthetic Sealant

Mothers:

1. Mothers PowerPolish orange pad

2. Mothers PowerPolish white pad

3. Mothers FX Synwax

4. Mothers carnauba gold paste

AlexRuiz
05-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Mothers:

1) Mothers PowerPolish orange pad

2) Mothers PowerPolish white pad

3) Reflections advanced car wax

4) Reflections top coat

5) reflections tire care

6) shiny car! :D

HenrikP
05-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I recommend Meguairs over Mothers and in this order:

1) #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish

2) #80 Speed Glaze

3) #7 Show Car Glaze

4) #21 Sythetic Sealant or #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

Depending on the condition of your paint I might also want to add that you might need to consider a compound. Compounds are generally something you need to order online although some auto parts stores may offer some of Meguairs` compounds.

kleraudio
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Dont forget about 3m compounds, im pretty sure you can pick those up OTC as well.

Jim

EVOVIII
05-24-2007, 10:58 PM
If I had to use compound I`m assuming I would have to do it before step #1 or right after, this would be a decision if the #1 would not do the job bacause of the swirls/scratches were too deep, right?? I quickly looked at the Meguires website and they have two of those #84 and #85 which one would be a preferred for my application??

EVOVIII
05-25-2007, 12:39 AM
One more question, which pads should I use with each application and on what speed my PC should be set to. I bought the whole setup and I will be receiving Sonus SFX pads with it.

TotalPerfection
05-25-2007, 06:50 AM
I`ve had great results with #80 followed by #21 then a thin coat of #16 - nice deep wet gloss.

joshtpa
05-25-2007, 06:53 AM
#21 has a great look to it. Nice oily look on dark colors that last for so long.

PhatHoodDetail
05-26-2007, 02:57 PM
imo meg`s is hard to work with if ur new to buffing. being fair ive only used it once but my supply truck is coming by this week i might pick up the whole line and test them out, im hearing alot of good things about megs. but if ur new i would try 3m or mothers 3 step system just to get yourself a idea and work your way up to megs

ADHD
05-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I disagree. Most of my friends are using #21 over #80 and #7 and they’ve worked perfectly together for us.

PC.

I was thinking the same thing! 21 on top of 80 is super common!:buffing: