PDA

View Full Version : tire/white letter cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

rtbrick
06-06-2003, 09:28 PM
I have a brand new set of white letter tires on my truck. I applied some Meguiars tire gel the other day, with a used applicator, and now the white letters are very dingy. I expect that when I scrub them this weekend they will come back to white. If they don`t, what should I use to get them looking new again?

Boss_429
06-07-2003, 01:11 PM
rtbrick,

If you don`t have one, get into your vehicle and get to your local auto parts store, or a Wal-Mart/K-Mart, and pick up a brass bristle tire brush (Turtle wax makes one). Then, clean your tires with whatever you use to clean them (I use Meguiar`s EXTRA cleaner), and scrub the RWL`s with the brass bristle brush (don`t use the brass brush to clean the entire tire... only the RWL`s).

Then, apply your gel a lot more carefully.......... not on the RWL`s. I actually come back with Q-tips, and get in and around close to the RWL`s with the gel.

Hope this helps.

ardetailing
06-07-2003, 04:54 PM
rtbrick,

The reason you are leaving dirt behind is because your applicator is dirty. Tire gel and dressing is clear. Try this. . .

When I clean tires with white letters, I use Bleche White Tire Cleaner and a tire brush. You can find it at Wal Mart. This stuff cleans the white as well as the black. Start with a new tire applicator, use only for clean tires. Use other applicators for everything else and save that one for just clean tires. Use your tire gel as normal. Keep a wet rag with you. If it looks like you are starting to get something other than dressing on your letters wipe the letter immediately with the wet rag. It should come off easily. If you use the applicator only for tires, it should last a long time without leaving that dingy look on your letters. Once you get dirt on the applicator it just starts to mix with the dressing.

Remember, use the tire applicator only for clean tires, nothing else.

rtbrick
06-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Boss_429, that brass bristle brush won`t damage the tires or at least scrape off the white on the RWL, will it? Must be really fine bristles.

ardetailing, thanks for the tips. I`ll try the Westley`s...and the clean applicator.:o

Boss_429
06-07-2003, 07:00 PM
rtbrick,

Been using one for years. Mine`s an old shoemakers suede brush, but the one made by Turtle Wax should work fine, and is called a "Tire Brush", and you only want to use in on the RWL`s. For the rest of the tires a stiff nylon tire brush is just the ticket.

In any case, good luck with whatever you decide.

NattyBumppo
06-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Those throw away foam paint brushes work great for applying tire dressings. Also check your local dollar store. I found a 12 pack of open cell sponges for a buck. Use one or two per car to dress the tires then toss em away.

Natty

Poorboy
06-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Hey Natty stop giving away my tricks:D

NattyBumppo
06-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Poorboy
Hey Natty stop giving away my tricks:D

What`s it worth to ya! :D

Poorboy
06-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Natty...I guess you want me to send the next New product to Boss to experiment with:eek:

NattyBumppo
06-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy
Natty...I guess you want me to send the next New product to Boss to experiment with:eek:

So thats the way it is. Use me and toss me aside like yesterdays newspaper. Oh I feel so dirty! LOL

Poorboy
06-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Hey secrets are called secrets for a reason....:rolleyes:

Natty would I put you out like the cat at night:confused:

Natty we have big plans for you:D

Boss_429
06-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Natty,

Anytime they say "we have big plans for your", that`s when you need to take cover! :D :D

Poorboy
06-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey Boss..What about a Nattybumppo hot-line hear all ...tell all:p

I can have call forwarding to his office..he`s on the phone all day anyhow....no one would know the difference:rolleyes: :D :D

Boss_429
06-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Poorboy,

I like it! We could call it the "Natty Bumppo Detailing Hotline"......... call anytime...... 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year! :D :D :D

I`m sure he and the wife would love it! ;)

Poorboy
06-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Yes I can imagine him doing it, but with a cell phone and headphones, so he can keep working out those swirls:D