PDA

View Full Version : What is really the difference.

infoman1
05-24-2005, 07:51 AM
There are so many private label products, many of which have been given great reviews by individuals and sponsers of these forums. Realistically, what is so different from these products compared to waxes and polishes available OTC? I have used OTC Meguairs, Mothers, Liquid Glass, and just about anything else out there over the years, all with very good results. I have also used many of the PL products including AIO, UPP, Poorboys, Pinnacle LS, Zymol which we all speak of so often with little or no difference in end result. I have also tried products from Warner Chemical, Lanes Fastlane, and Detail King. In a fair comparison is there an independent review published by a non affilate testing lab evaluating shine, durability, swirl removal? Consumer reports usually publishes a review of OTC car products, and the results were surprising. I believe NuFinish finished at the top of the pile, with many of the multi-step products providing little or no advantage in shine or durability. In the end all of the products OTC and PL achieve great results. Whats unfair and bias are reviews based on reapplication at 4 week intervals. It really doesn`t speak toward product durability for a typical application. It also doesn`t speak to geographic and environmental differences. A car polish popular for the Florida and Calif climate, may be junk and fall short in the MidWest or North East. Being fair I can achieve the same great shine and durability with OTC products if I follow it up with monthly reapplications also. The real test is application on a daily driver which is exposed to the elements, and washed infrequently with no follow up reapplications as most consumers tend to do. After a month or so you will guickly be able to discern which products are the real keepers and truely live up to there expectations. Not a single carnuba product I have used lasts more than 6 weekly washes without reapp. Sealents I have gotten maybe 3 months before maintainence reapp. Common sense is telling me any car can look great if washed weekly, and waxed every 4-6 weeks regardless of product. In the end it`s all about personal preference, cost, and time I suppose. Most of our product observations are based on opinion lacking any real scientific evaluation to the contrary.

JaredPointer
05-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Well, to answer quickly, I would say that most of it comes down to the prep work. OTC products can be used to achieve this as well as higher priced boutique products. It`s kinda like saying why buy a Lexus when I could just get a Camry? For me, just getting to use different products is exciting.

jpzapata
05-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Well, to answer quickly, I would say that most of it comes down to the prep work. OTC products can be used to achieve this as well as higher priced boutique products. It`s kinda like saying why buy a Lexus when I could just get a Camry? For me, just getting to use different products is exciting.

I second that statment

JaredPointer
05-24-2005, 08:58 AM
One more thing I forgot to mention... Another difference is in ease of use. You will not find OTC products that work as easily as, say, Poorboy`s stuff. That`s another cheque mark in the boutique column.

infoman1
05-24-2005, 09:06 AM
One more thing I forgot to mention... Another difference is in ease of use. You will not find OTC products that work as easily as, say, Poorboy`s stuff. That`s another cheque mark in the boutique column.

IMO I don`t consider PoorBoys a boutique product. It`s one of my favorites for ease of use. Being fair 3M and PPG SR products perform just as well and are priced roughly similar. Both do an excellent job for the task at hand, removing surface blemishes and swirls. The EX and ProPolish I have found no difference between them and other boutique or similar OTC products. Thats just an opinion based on no fact.

lucky6025
05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
just my opinion but for doing this as a side job for over 30yrs now and doing
20/30 cars a year and no complaints. ease of use is first thing that comes to mind,yet best results is right up there.No productis going to really last on everyday vehicle kept outside 24/7 more than couple of months and depending on use by hand or machine and which machines makes huge difference. Being along time user of mequiar`s products and getting very good
results and happy but trying Menzerna products (more expensive and have to
order on-line) I find them far superior in both ease of use and results, well worth the extra cost and pain of ordering on-line to get.But as you stated,yes
most of the vehicles I do,get done every couple of months,but looking at the cost of vehicle now its worth the effort and money.

Antonio Waxer
05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
As a long time detailer who has used most of the products you have mentioned,
I think the biggest difference is experience and technique. Boss429, if you read his posts, often talks about the process not the products. Someone with experience in the process can probably take almost any line of products and get very good results. What some of the boutique products offer is the ease of use to the person still learning techniques and for the experienced detailer, products that are just a bit easier and usually smell better;) IMO

matthiasj
05-24-2005, 09:51 AM
As a long time detailer who has used most of the products you have mentioned,
I think the biggest difference is experience and technique. Boss429, if you read his posts, often talks about the process not the products. Someone with experience in the process can probably take almost any line of products and get very good results. What some of the boutique products offer is the ease of use to the person still learning techniques and for the experienced detailer, products that are just a bit easier and usually smell better;) IMO

I agree 100%. Technique has more to do with it than anything, i also think that prep does too. I`m not a pro detailer by any means, but i do understand how stuff works.

infoman1
05-24-2005, 11:22 AM
All of your comments and opinions are invaluable! Most of you are avid detailers and some even as a professional business. That said, using these products on a daily basis certainly qualifies as actual field testing. Your experience as professionals, which products you choose, and the all important process, go a long way in comparison and use of what makes a product standout from the rest! I am a weekender "wana-be" detailer and like to test and compare different products. My post wasn`t intended to place negatives on any forum sponsered merchandise, or any brand in particular. I genuinely wanted your professional opinions of what makes the "boutique" products better. And as I said, your experience speaks for itself and weighs heavily on any comparison between OTC and "boutique" products.

MS22
05-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Personally I feel even for the weekend warrior who takes care of his/her own vehicles, their famalies and friends vehicles, and a few side jobs here and there can benefit from using "botique" products. If we are talking OTC products available at Autozone, PepBoys, Target, etc. I feel that they do not offer a broad enough product line to consumers in order to accomplish what is often times needed from a product. While technique does play the most crucial role in the process I would like to see a someone remove really nasty swirls, scratches, and oxidation with consumer level products. I have never come across heavy duty polishes comparable to PG, SSR3, etc. at Autozone that would be required for many jobs. To break it down consumer products are friendly (inaggressive) to the point where you would have to want to cause damage to your paint in order to correct any defects, and with those types of OTC polishes and other products properly taking care of a car that has been somewhat neglected becomes a daunting task. The difference lies in the fact that "botique" products are meant to be used by people who have knowledge as to what they are doing and need a product range that encompasses the ability to deal with a wide variety of defects, thse are not random "Joe/Jane" picking up some Megs 3-Step at Autozone products. I know that the range of products that I need in order to remain full functional at what I am doing requires more than is offered at my local PepBoys.

And not to be rude but I would love to see the $5 OTC wax that is capable of producing a look like the "botique" Souveran does on my black car.

Bill D
05-24-2005, 12:35 PM
I agree, I wasted far too much time in the past on some of the types of OTC products you refer to and got, at best, dismal results. Indeed, just TOO user friendly as to be ineffective or at best just very temporarily cover what they claim they remove. Body shop grade polishes,we all have out favorites and of course, plenty of know how and practice with the correct polisher is in the recipe for true success.

PhaRO
05-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Having detailed professionally for 15 years and full time for most of that, I have an opinion. I wish I felt different and this is just my opinion based on my experiences. Most cars don`t stay new looking for long without consistent upkeep. Most people don`t seem to care. I`ve yet to find anything that really lasts 3 months and rarely more than a month. This can be very frustrating in the detailing business. So many products claim ridiculous lengths of protection. Customers believe there are products out there that they can do once a year or worse never again. I believe claims such as that as outward lies or at best grossly misleading.

While I do not believe products last very long, I do believe the benefits of cleaning and protecting the paint do last. It may not bead after 3 months but the car I feel is better off than if you had done nothing. In general I recommend every 3 months to my customers.

Is there a difference in products? Since I`ve yet to find anything that last very long, I don`t think it matters too much what you use. Where there is a difference is in the ease of use and other areas. I want something I can use in the sun without a big fight. I also want something that says it can be used in the sun so I can show it to customers that ask. This is why I`ve started using the PB products. So far they`ve been easy to use in the sun. Pleasant to work with is a difference. I like a product that smells good or at least doesn`t smell bad. I carry most of my paint products in my truck cab and those that have a chemical smell can be bothersome. The last difference is customer perception. If they can`t get it at a local store, many think it is better.