PDA

View Full Version : Noob wheel care question

HeavyB
05-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I`ve read that its advisable to apply sealant to wheels to make break dust removal easier as well as protect their finish. This weekend I cleaned the wheels of my new RAV4 with ONR and an old sheepskin mitt and dried with a microfiber cloth. I didn`t have time to clay the wheels unfortunately, but since they have been well taken care of and washed as described regularly, there were few if any contaminants that needed removal. I then applied a layer of JW Prime to polish the wheels. Is this enough protection, or should I have followed up with a layer of AJ trigger? For me every minute away from the family is marital capital spent so I`d prefer to avoid unnecessary steps if at all possible. :chuckle: Thanks.

Cheers,

HeavyB

awahl63
05-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I would go ahead and do it as it`ll probably save you time in the future that can be put toward your marital duties

Accumulator
05-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I find it works well to try to find time to really protect them...then you don`t have to do much for a good long time and they won`t cut into other activities at times when it won`t be convenient.

It can be a toss-up: spend x minutes every week or spend 4x minutes once a month :nixweiss I spend 10x minutes a few times a year.

Kriminal
05-21-2007, 12:21 PM
If the wheels are in real good condition, I`d do what I can to avoid using any form of polish as it`ll contain some form of abrasive - and you wanna keep as much lacquer as you can on the things which are closest to the ground.

Use a high-polymer wax on them to create a barrier between the lacquer and the dust. This should make dust removal loads easier in the future, AND keep them nice and shiny.