PDA

View Full Version : Attention Boat Detailers

Shades
05-20-2007, 11:59 PM
I`m sure alot of you probably know about this stuff, but for me it was a MIRACLE find!! I went to my local body shop supply store the other day looking for some presta and got to talking about fiberglass work. I told the guy that I was looking for something easy to work with and effective. Viola, Dupont 606 s. This stuff comes in what looks like 1/3 of a paint can, its a very soft paste that you scoop out and throw onto a pad. I used a twisted wool pad with a little bit of this stuff on my rotory on the highest speed, and within 3-4 passes turned oxidized fiberglass into new boat fiberglass!!! This stuff is awesome and is bound to last a century!! Cost, somewhere in the twenties. I`m doing a 19` center console tomorrow with it, and I`m sure to impress the owner! Until next time boys! Let me know if anyone knows about this, and if you do any boat detailing, pick some up!

-Jeremy

imported_themightytimmah
05-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Do you have any before and after pics? This sounds pretty interesting to me, oxidized fiberglass has always been a money loser for me - it`d be nice to turn jobs that i would usually turn down into quick cash.

joshtpa
05-21-2007, 06:35 AM
I actually like the 3M liquid rubbing compound that they have. You can find it at walmart for about 5 bucks. But it works great on boats.

GlossyTundra
05-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Fiberglass is my weakpoint as well. Oxidised glass is harder to remove than anything, and I always turn them down, I would like to keep the buisness.

BobD
05-21-2007, 07:38 AM
I think the DuPont 606s is fairly close to the Cyclo Polishes. If so they work very well.

imported_flatstick
05-21-2007, 09:58 AM
I actually like the 3M liquid rubbing compound that they have. You can find it at walmart for about 5 bucks. But it works great on boats.

I would say the same thing. have restored many bass boats using the 3M liquid rubbing compound.this year I started following it up with presta ultra cutting cream light and the results were fantastic. that combo is going to be with me a long time :up

SShine
05-21-2007, 06:52 PM
I might have to check it out. I havent yet found a compound that can fully get severely oxidized gelcoat back to new. I have tries Meguars and the 3M Marine Rubbing compound, and some other stuff I got at boaters world I forgot the name. So far the best working product for me has been Meguiars one step compound plus an additional step of polish.

I will have to give this a shot, I do alot of boats....

Shades
05-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Well, I agree with 3M products working well, but I have always had trouble working with them. This stuff is BEYOND easy to use and the results of that of the 3M compound. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

SShine
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
where can I find it? there arent any body shop suppliers around here. I tried searching for it but nothing came up.

joshtpa
05-22-2007, 11:28 AM
I buy the 3M compound I use on my boat at Walmart.