PDA

View Full Version : Problem with LC orange flat pad on PC. Pad melt. (Newbie)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

kapinnn
05-20-2007, 11:50 PM
I`ve read a few threads here about problems with pads but did not find a solution for this.

I just used a PC for the first time this weekend to get rid of some swirl marks and scratches on a friend`s car and everything started well. I used an orange LC pad with SSR 1 to do half a door and was impressive at how easy it was going. I did the other half of the door with SSR 2.5 on an orange pad and it worked a bit faster and no extra fine swirl marks. I then proceeded to the other door and trunk.

Once I got to the trunk I looked at the pad and it seemed like it caved in in the center. As if the foam in the inside had melt and moved to the sides. The center of the pad is like a hollow pillow now. I was using very little pressure, using speed 3 to spread the polish and 5.5 to 6 to work it in. When I removed the pad from the velcro backing plate I noticed the center of the velcro was melt.

My guess is that the screw part of the plate was absorbing heat and transferring to the pad, how can I avoid this? I`ve read that people used the same pad on the PC for hours with no problem. I was probably polishing for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any help!!!

goherd90
05-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Strange...I just used my PC for the first time this weekend and also used with the LC CCS orange pad (4"). I used it for about 3 or 4 hours on speed 5 with no melting? I did notice that the pad towards the center was a bit more caved in, however I still have many more hours left on that pad.

Did you put the little washer that goes between the backing plate and PC? Not sure if that has anything to do with it?

Last bet is to call whomever you ordered from and see what they say...good luck

kapinnn
05-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the reply! I didn`t get any washer to put between the PC and the plate. Does it make a difference? It was really weird.

I`m going to take some pictures and post here once I get home. I can`t seem to find the reason to why it would do that. I did all the work in the shade and the car was cool. I wasnt even sunny outside!!! Maybe not enough (or too much) product could increase friction generating more heat? That would make the heat come from the pad side and it looks like it came from the back, since the velcro melt too...

mikebai1990
05-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Some pictures would definitely be nice. I plan on polishing out our Acura soon, and I`ll know to be careful. As for you, you can try contacting Lake Country and ask them about this (give them the pictures too). They usually have good customer service, and may send you replacements for free. Good luck!

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Please post pics when you can...

This is a VERY dumb question but I have to ask... are you sure the pads were flat before you started? CMA (properautocare.com) sells 6.5" LC pads that are contoured, so that the center isn`t as thick as the sides, but once you apply a bit pressure it evens out... like I said, dumb question, but had to ask haha

kapinnn
05-21-2007, 03:00 PM
No such thing as a dumb question if you are trying to help. I bought the pad from autogeek or top of the line, can`t remember right now. It looked perfect when I started... not so much anymore. I did not use a pad primer or conditioner prior to start using it, does it make a difference?

chutney
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Did you use a Lake Country Dual Action Molded Urethane Backing Plate. I think the original PC backing plate transfer the heat to the pad.

kapinnn
05-21-2007, 03:09 PM
See, I don`t think it`s an LC backing plate. I`ll post pictures of it tonight as well. It`s some other brand, although it could have been relabeled.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
^^ I used a PC for 3-4 hours "straight" the other day and I don`t understand how enough heat can transfer from the PC to the pad through a backing plate to burn the foam, yet it feels pretty cool to the touch the PC head and backing plate that is...

Post pics, I`m curious to see what happened...

Oh and OP, the autogeek pads are definitely flat to start with, so nevermind

goherd90
05-21-2007, 03:35 PM
See, I don`t think it`s an LC backing plate. I`ll post pictures of it tonight as well. It`s some other brand, although it could have been relabeled.

Yes..post pics.

Here is the plate I used and also the LC CCS pad.

mikebai1990
05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Ah.. those pads aren`t from Autogeek. They have the backing. On another thread (http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/89464-design-defect-cma-ccs-6-5-pads.html), people have noted issues with it. I would contact whichever place you bought it from and go from there.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Ah.. those pads aren`t from Autogeek. They have the backing. On another thread (http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/89464-design-defect-cma-ccs-6-5-pads.html), people have noted issues with it. I would contact whichever place you bought it from and go from there.

the pads pictured above weren`t used by the OP and when they were used were fine... as goherd mentioned

goherd90
05-21-2007, 03:53 PM
the pads pictured above weren`t used by the OP and when they were used were fine... as goherd mentioned

You are correct. I puchased mine from www.properautocare.com...I did notice a thread where lots of people are having issues with the pads, however I did not. We just need to see what kappinn has???

Kappinn you mention you have a PC..are you referring to the Porter Cable 7424? This DOES come with a washer that needs to be attached.

kapinnn
05-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes, it`s the 7424. I`ll be home in 2 hours and will be able to post pictures of everything. I`ll have to look for this washer... I don`t remember seeing it. My PC box came with a wrench, a white foam pad, and 2 counterweights. The kit came with an orange, yellow and black flat LC 6.5 inch pads, 6 inch backing plate, 3.5 inch backing plate, 2 4-inch cyclo pads (green and white).

mikebai1990
05-21-2007, 04:11 PM

Ah... crap. I thought the OP posted those pictures.. :wall