PDA

View Full Version : A product line up/business ?

Fallz
05-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Forgive me if I`m posting in the wrong area for this , but it really does not fit into the Prof. detailing forum.

AI`m looking for a new business and thinking about combining my passion for having a nice clean waxed car and a business.

First off it would not be a internet sales business , it would be more of a dist. business. I know of people who own retail stores (auto related) , car washes , ect.... I would like to take products and retail them in their stores , ect... Towels , spray waxes , ect.... not to the extend we all do here but for the consumer who keeps up with is auto and keeps them nice.

I`m getting to old to be wanting to detail any cars but my own , so I want to do the business side of thing. This would be a full time gig for me , not looking to make millions , but to do something I love. I resigned from my job ( on my own ) in Oct. 06 as I was tired of the corp. sales thing. I made a lot of money for 15 years and at 45 hung it up to pursue fun things as a business since I have all my debts paid off.

What would be a good product line to try ? I want good results , affordable products , easy and fast to use. I would like to start with one line of products ( for now ) . I thought about and have talked to Clearkote , but honestly don`t care all that much for their line and they really don`t have any ease products that are anymore consumer friendly than an off the shelf product.

Please give me your thoughts on this , the opinion of my fellow car detailing nuts is valued.

Thanks guys/gals

Mike

joshtpa
05-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I think product line is a preference thing. I for one, really like almost all of the Clearkote products. As far as a distribtutor of sorts, speak to some of our online guys, such as Bob at Danase. Maybe he can clear some things up. I am confused in one thing. Do you want to work specifically for one company, and be a "rep" for them? Or do you want to carry several lines, and instead of selling online, go "door to door". (by that I mean take to retailers, etc..). If so, I am not sure what market there would be. Most companies can make purchases via wholesale markets online or via the phone directly through the company. You might want to chat with Paul at Chemical Guys. He is a great guy and might steer you in the right direction.

wannafbody
05-20-2007, 06:57 PM
well you could get CG to do a private label for you. They are nice enough products for the average Joe and are affordably priced.

joshtpa
05-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I think some of their products are even better than average. 50/50 wax, Petes 53, Butter wet wax, etc...

kleraudio
05-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Josh check your PM, funny I just wrote something to you about this.

weird

to the O.P. What do you mean by 1 product line? All you are going to sell is 1 line? and there is some stiff competition already, it sounds like it is going to be tough.

Jim

Fallz
05-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Nothing is easy or everyone would do it ... lol

Just kind of thinking out loud with this stuff and tossing things out to you guys.

Thanks for the insight so far.

BobD
05-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Where you looking for your own line or to distribute for one line? I was not clear on that.

the other pc
05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Since you aren’t selling to the end customer I think you need to do some research to figure out who they are and how your customers, the retailers, interact with them.

If we’re talking about shelf space in a general consumer retail environment you’ll want to consider brand recognition and packaging impact. The product mix and package sizes would need to compliment consumers. A product line that’s heavily weighted toward bulk bottles of pro grade reconditioning chemicals probably isn’t the best choice.

If your customer is a carwash it’s not exactly in their best interest to be selling wash mitts, gallon jugs of car shampoo and clay bars. If your customer is more of an automotive “boutique†those might sell well.

Either way, I think a big part of your business will be educating your customers’ sales staff on the products, generating enthusiasm and helping them help their customers.

PC.