PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding paper?

Jo Donny
05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
What sand paper do you guys use for wet sanding?

Do you use regular sand paper you can pick up in a hardware store, or something made for auto detailing?

wannafbody
05-20-2007, 04:22 PM
3m or Megs unigrit(2000 or 2500) from a paint supply store. I`d suggest having rotary experience for the initial compounding. I`ve found that HTEC works well for buffing 2000 grit.

the other pc
05-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Hardware store don’t even carry fine grits, let alone the correct type of papers for wetsanding paint.

PC.

Jo Donny
05-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Alright thanks, I`m sorta clueless about wetsanding.

xtremekustomz
05-21-2007, 10:51 AM
3M Imperial Wetsanding Paper. They also make some really good buffing compounds.

Accumulator
05-21-2007, 11:30 AM
xtremekustomz- I bet you`d *really* like the Meguiar`s Unigrit paper better than the 3M stuff.

I`m not a big fan of Meg`s, but I was blown away by how much better their (or rather, IIRC, their relabeled Nikken brand) paper is. Ditto for the faom sanding disks from Mirka that my painter raves about, but I`m not confident enough in my abilites to do much with those.

Given your incredible attention to detail, I think these better sanding media would be right down your alley, something you`d appreciate more than a lot of people might ;)

the other pc
05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
...Ditto for the faom sanding disks from Mirka that my painter raves about, but I`m not confident enough in my abilites to do much with those....Accumulator,

I’m absolutely confident you’ll have no trouble using the Mirka Abralon abrasives. They’re great.

PC.

Accumulator
05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
the other PC- Thanks for the vote of confidence :D Yeah, I shoulda done the M3 with them...when a painter suggests you wetsand instead of compound I guess you oughta pay attention...but I`m so far along with it now that I`m gonna save the wetsanding for some other project.

But those Mirka discs are nice, especially the 4K ones; I`m using them by hand on some of the touch-ups.