PDA

View Full Version : Clay not cutting it..

93AccordLXwhite
05-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Recently I clayed my car with Mothers Yellow Detailing Clay, but after multiple passes and lots of pressure the car still failed the plastic bag test. While it had significantly improved, I could still feel the contamination. Now some people say clay `pulls` particles out of the paint, but I have also been told that it just `grinds` off the pieces of contamination sticking above the surface. I want to decontaminate my paint further, and read about chemical cleaners, but haven`t found very much information about them. So my question is:

What will actually remove contamination particles from below the surface of my paint?

I`ve thought about getting Megs Aggressive Detailing Clay but if it`s not going to solve my problem I don`t want to wast my money. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I just could never be 100% satisfied knowing that while my car looked good, there were hidden particles waiting to be felt. Hmm.. the things autopia does to you right??:D

imported_themightytimmah
05-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Megs aggressive clay is probably your best bet... I`ve got an ABC system here, and I don`t think it would be any more effective at fixing your problem than a more aggressive claybar.

Caveat emptor though: aggressive clay will probably require light polishing afterwards, something along the lines of M80, OP or FPII

93AccordLXwhite
05-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the quick response, coincidently I`m watching South Park right now:D I`m perfectly ok with polishing afterwards, I was planning on doing a full detail anyway. How much did your ABC cost if you don`t mind me asking? It`s a white car so attention to detail is critical, and new products are awesome to play with:)

usdm
05-20-2007, 01:27 AM
The difference between the clay and a "ABC" system is that the ABC will get at teh contamination that sits below the surface. Just remember to let the chemicals do their job, and you will be more impressed what they can do.

That said, clay can definitely make the surface much more level and smooth. Try using the clay with the "A"part of the system or use the clay during the wash procedure, and you can get a lot accomplished.

93AccordLXwhite
05-20-2007, 01:51 AM
I was leaning towards getting a decontamination system until I saw that Finsh Kare`s system sells for $150, but with the ABC going for only $50, I will probably add it to my list of things to buy. Is the ABC system the best decontamination cleaner out there or are others better? Usdm you suggested to use the clay during the wash, would that be the Megs Aggressive, or Mothers Yellow? And would doing so ruin the clay for further use? Thanks for the replies, I`m looking forward to having the smoothest paint on the block:D

David Fermani
05-20-2007, 06:34 AM
What will actually remove contamination particles from below the surface of my paint?

1 thing I want to clarify is that other that sanding down your finish, you can`t clean what`s below the surface (in the clear). Some contamination is much harder and more time consuming that others to remove, especially if it has sat *on* the finish for long periods of time. Based on your screen name, I assume you`re working on a 93 white Accord. A cheaper alternative would/could be "white washing" it with APC and a bug sponge(yellow brick) and then reclaying it. Older white vehicles can respond very well to this treatment. It will crack the heavy layer of junk on the surface and will allow your clay to work more effectively afterwards.