PDA

View Full Version : More Cutting Power from HTEC

GetAudiHere
05-19-2007, 06:18 PM
I started my detail today and I am using a pc and Hi-Temp EC over the whole car to correct the severe swirls. My questions is after about 5 passes I still cannot get the deep scratchs out ( and I can`t feel them with my fingernail). any help with this would be much apprecitated!

Thanks!

imported_smprince1
05-19-2007, 06:53 PM
You don`t state what is your process so I don`t know where to start. Also, what type of vehicle as some paint is very hard.

I will say that for correction of "severe swirls" with a PC, you would need a cutting pad, speed 5-6, some moderate pressure, work only small areas (2`x2` or less), move the PC VERY slowly, and fully work the HTEC. Also, working with a PC and HTEC, 4" pads would most likely be more effective.

It won`t be easy or quick maybe, but many on this forum have achieved pretty high level of correction with a PC.

Good luck.

GetAudiHere
05-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Haha sorry I`m using a LC yellow 4" pad and HTEC. It is a 2000 audi so the clearcoat is very very hard! I have been doing speed 3 to spread the polish and then bump it up to speed 6 and go about 1/2" per second maybe even slower and apply medium pressure to the pc . I do maybe 2-3 passes with that and the swirls gone but the deeper scratches still remain when I put the light up to it.

Bigpoppa3346
05-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Audi paint is VERY hard, as I just learned today. I honestly don`t think you can get more agressive on a PC than a 4" yellow pad and HTEC. Just look at how far you have come in terms of marring/swirling reduction, and learn to live with some of the defects on that PITA Audi clear.

GetAudiHere
05-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah I didn`t think you could get anymore aggresive that that. So to correct them I just have to keep making passes at the clearcoat (haha)

Envious Eric
05-19-2007, 11:42 PM
rotary may work lol

get someone to rotary them out and maintain from there if it bothers you

GetAudiHere
05-20-2007, 01:48 AM
yeah I just feel like I wasted money on a pc if I get someone to rotary it. Maybe I`ll do it next year. I spent $300 on supplies and I can get someone to rotary it for $50 so I dont know I just feel like I wasted money

David703
05-20-2007, 07:45 AM
I only use HTEC with a rotory. Cuts through like butter. Except maybe on corvettes, and audis and bmws. Seriously, you should consider a rotory at some time in the future. HT likes the heat of a rotory.

klnyc
05-20-2007, 07:56 AM
if you have a rotary that would work. Or you can try those CCS yellow LC pad.

GetAudiHere
05-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Im just starting so I`m a little nervous to use a rotary for fear of making my paint worse than it is. Maybe next year I will.

Accumulator
05-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeah I didn`t think you could get anymore aggresive that that. So to correct them I just have to keep making passes at the clearcoat (haha)

Yeah, it just takes a lot of passes. I removed a few RIDS from the `01 S8 yesterday with the PC and 4" pads, and it took a fairly long time (maybe shoulda used a rotary).

Oh, and IMO just because a scratch doesn`t catch your nail, that doesn`t mean it`s necessarily OK to completely remove it. I`d rather err on the side of caution and have flawed, but thick, clear. There`s stuff on both my Audis that a quick wetsand and/or a bit more (very aggressive) rotary work woulda removed, but after a few hard passes with the rotary I decided to live with it.

Once you get a rotary, I bet you`ll seldom use the PC except for hologram removal, but I still use mine for spot correction as I did yesterday.

wannafbody
05-20-2007, 08:51 PM
A rotary would be a good investment. You can find inexpensive ones at Trader Horn, PepBoys or even a paint supply shop. Even using a mild pad and polish should be easier and quicker than using a PC. Work smarter not harder.

optimusp517
05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
A rotary will do the job, but there`s a bigger learning curve on that machine than it does on a PC and you`re only hearing this from a beginning learner on a rotary and long time user on a rotary...