PDA

View Full Version : Insurance rates go up after learners permit or junior license?

mikebai1990
05-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I may be getting my learners permit soon, and I`m wondering how this exactly impacts my parents` insurance rates. I`m in NY, as I understand different states may have different policies. Do my parents` insurance rates go up after I get my learners permit or after I get my junior license? Some say that their policy rate will only go up by $20-30 per 6 months when I have my learners permit, and that the prices shoot up when I get my junior license. Do any of you have any ideas?

medic159
05-18-2007, 05:39 PM
As soon as you are listed on their policy as another driver their rates will go up. You should call their insurance agent to find out how much and for ways to save.

mikebai1990
05-18-2007, 06:38 PM
I see. Yea, it`s definitely a good idea to have my dad call our insurance agent. Would you happen to know whether the insurance increase is different for learners permit/junior license? I wondering because under a learners permit, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver, and in terms of insurance, should lower any possible risks.

imported_themightytimmah
05-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Mine didn`t go up until I got my license - then it went up a *lot* - we added another car and me on the policy and it went up approximately 1400/yr.