PDA

View Full Version : Think outloud...

5IVE
05-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Ask a question you always wonder to yourself...lets not make this an arguement because what you ask may offend people...this is like a get something off your chest thread.

Why would anyone wanna buy a domestic vehicle? Aren`t the foreign equivalents MUCH better purchases in terms of value and quality?

coupe
05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Why would anyone think foreign vehicles are a better value?

topnotchtouch
05-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Do you actually think that anything constructive is going to come from this thread?

Why not use the search feature and see for yourself the threads where this has been hashed out time and time and time again :wall

BobD
05-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh boy, this isn`t going to be good.

imported_themightytimmah
05-18-2007, 01:33 PM
I`ll bite and try to keep it civil...

I`m into buying slightly used domestic cars - the initial depreciation hit is often very hard, and I`m able to afford a lot more car for the same money compared to an imported car. I paid the same price for my loaded GTP as my friend did for a less-than-loaded (and older) Passat - mine`s faster, better stereo, etc.

His car has been more reliable but that is not a major issue for me as I do a lot of my own work and my friend`s dad owns a mechanics shop - so tools, lifts, etc are available to me.

I feel that I get better value with American cars as power and price are my major concern - if you`re looking for different things in a car, you might find that another brand suits you a lot better.

imported_bigfoot
05-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I got in, I`m going out. This one will be no good...

imported_Yal
05-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Sarah Connor: What did he just say?

Gas Station Attendant: He said there`s a storm coming in.

Sarah Connor: [sighs] I know.

PerroneFord
05-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Well,

If we treat this one like adults, we should be able to discuss it rationally.

I`ve been very close to the American car market for many years. My first car was an oldsmobile. I bought it off my parents. The ineptitude of the dealer was astounding. Previous to that, I had been interested in the purchase of a GMC Cyclone. The dealer blew me off. Woudln`t even give me a catalog. I had my dad take that one up with the guy and my dad was none too pleased. In short, my dealings with domestic auto dealers was very poor. I traded the olds for a BMW. In nearly 10 years of ownership, I had exactly 1 part fail on the BMW. It costs about $85 to replace with labor. I put over 100k miles on it in that time. It had about 100k when I bought it. Then I bought a Range Rover because I needed a second vehicle. Then I bought a second Range Rover. I gave my ex`s daughter my BMW. I then bought a Honda S2000. My first Japanese car. Then I traded it for a Subaru.

I enjoy driving. I`ve driven some very fun cars, and owned some nice ones. But as I told my dad, the domestics, with few exceptions, really don`t get me excited. The Z06 is really very nice. I wanted to like the Solstice since I was having some remorse selling my S2000. But the reviews were really spotty. I wanted to like the GTO, but there were some issues there too.

It`s unfortunate that American car manufacturers still don`t get the fact that many younger and even middle aged buyers appreciate a taut chassic and a competent engine tied to a MANUAL transmission. Where is the Domestic equivalent to the S2000? The WRX? The 911? The Accord? It`s not that these things are hard to do. Build a competent car, give it a solid warranty, and make it last. We build some awesome pickup trucks. Why can`t we apply that level of effort to some decent coupes and sedans?

I still visit the dealers from time to time. It`s a mixture of a group of folks who look beaten and defeated, and folks who look super eager and still work in high pressure sales tactics. The model is still all wrong. From the drawing rooms, to the sales floors. And they keep losing ground. Really it`s sad. I`m glad my dad`s pension hasn`t been lost as he has been VERY worried for many years.

boywonder
05-18-2007, 02:18 PM
< Sounds air raid siren >

This is a test of the moderator broadcast system. If this was an actual emergency, there would be a thread lock and/or individuals getting banned for getting out of line.

5IVE
05-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I meant ASK a question that you`ve always wondered about something...not answer mine. Anyways...didn`t wanna step on anyones toes. Just thought we could have a little fun.

topnotchtouch
05-18-2007, 02:50 PM
I think a good bit of the problems the domestics face is perception. There have been studies that show that domestic quality is on par with foreign manufacturers. Here is one I ran across recently as it relates to Ford.

Apparently Ford`s quality is now on par with Toyota and Nissan, according to a new report released today. The RDA Group has released a report on the quality of 2007 model year vehicles. The group concluded that Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles have the same quality levels as Toyota and Nissan in the first-quarter 2007 model-year Global Quality Research System report.

The rest of the article can be found here...

Ford Quality is on Par with Toyota and Nissan?

Ford Quality is on Par with Toyota and Nissan? (The Torque Report) (http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/04/ford_quality_is_on_par_with_to.html)

Here is another article for fellow Ford guys out there as well.

Ford is the UK`s "Most Trusted" Automaker?!

Ford is the UK`s "Most Trusted" Automaker?! (The Torque Report) (http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/04/ford_is_the_uks_most_trusted_a.html)

I can site my own examples. My 2001 Mustang GT has 91K on it right now and it has NEVER been to the shop for anything other than consumables like tires, alignments and such. It doesn`t burn a bit of oil and is still as tight as the day I drove it off the lot.

If the wife hadn`t driven the 1996 Plymouth Voyager off the shoulder of the road at 113K (it was dark and she was lost) we would still have it. The only issue we ever had with it was a bad AC compressor.

We replaced the Voyager with a 2004 Taurus Wagon and so far it has been as reliable as every other domestic I have owned. It currently has about 50K and has never been to the shop either.

We also have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 with 60K on the clock and the only issue it has had was a bad fuel injector.

EdLancer
05-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I am a vulture, I go where ever the deals are, be it domestics or imports, lately the imports have been winning my wallet !