PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use XAT.com with vista?

gmblack3
05-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Got a nice deal on a new dell computer, there was no option to get XP instead of vista. So I called and they said only certain systems can be ordered with XP. :sadpace:

I use xat.com to resize/compress my pics. Has anybody used xat.com with vista?

TIA!

topnotchtouch
05-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Won`t be using Vista until Microsoft stops supporting XP but anyway have you tried IrfanView? Their latest version includes Vista support. I have been using it for years and it has the features you are looking for to compress and resize pictures. Best of all it is FREE....

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide (http://www.irfanview.com/)

gmblack3
05-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Won`t be using Vista until Microsoft stops supporting XP but anyway have you tried IrfanView? Their latest version includes Vista support. I have been using it for years and it has the features you are looking for to compress and resize pictures. Best of all it is FREE....

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide (http://www.irfanview.com/)

Have used it in the past, could not get it to compress as well as xat.com. I used the free demo version of XAT.

gmblack3
05-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I sent an email to xat.com and they got back to me within 1 hour.

Yes it works fine on Vista although I can`t vouch for the scanner

interface.

But make sure you try the demo.

imported_Nitrox
05-17-2007, 02:24 PM
I believe vista has some new tools built into it that does what you are asking.

JasonD
05-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Bryan,

I have two Dell computers with Vista (XPS 410, and XPS M1710) and I will give you a formal heads up. BACK UP YOUR DATA!! I highly recommend buying either an additional internal hard drive or an external hard drive to save all your important data on because both of my systems are only a couple months old, and they have both completely crashed at least once. The good news is that it is extremely easy to revert back to how the computer was shipped to you (if it can power up), but the bad news is you lose all your data, so be sure you back everything up somewhere else, and try to just keep the operating system and its components on the main drive separate from everything else.

gmblack3
05-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Jason, Someone posted a new code on slickdeals that works with XP. So I re-ordered the same E520 with XP, going to cancel the vista installed one.

I have been on the phone with dell 3 times today trying to get the OS switched to XP, but they claimed the code I was using would only work with a vista computer.

Sorry you are having problems with your XPSs.

Here is the setup I got:

Dimension E520 IntelĂ‚® Core™ 2 E6420 Duo Processor(4MB L2 cache,2.13GHZ,1066FSB)

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse

Monitor 20 inch E207WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Video Cards IntelĂ‚® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000

Hard Drives 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

CD or DVD Drive 48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive

Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)

Warranty and Service 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day*

XP

TOTAL:$719.00+tax

I will sell the LCD on ebay since I already have a samsung 21"

So I should be into the box for $550. Plus I ordered 2x1gb of ram and a dvd burner. both will be $115.

Memory is really cheap now.

JasonD
05-18-2007, 08:01 AM
You got lucky being able to get an XP computer. I know a lot of people that wanted XP and were told they couldn`t get it.

I, personally, can`t stand Vista. I think it`s a total pita, and unstable at that. Plus it uses a LOT more resources than XP, so your system will be faster with XP than with Vista.