PDA

View Full Version : hyper compound overrated.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imported_Reflectionz
05-17-2007, 01:05 AM
the only reason i use ohc is to dilute other compounds so its more sun friendly. otherwise, i think its useless. #1 its too thin and splatters everywhere. #2 i have doubts about its cutting ability even via rotary. some people said to only use very little but that didnt work out for me either.. it felt like milk! it seems to not cut anything or will take a while for it to "breakdown". for sure, it hardly gets out 2000 wetsand marks where something like 3m compounds or meguiars will knock it out in just a few passes. if it doesnt get out something as fine as 2000 grits, what are the chances it will take out a moderately deep scratch?

i will also bash on the whole optimum line. i see no difference between their polish, compound, and hyper compound as its just water-like.. they all feel like light polishes to me.

the poli-seal yields great results and is easy to use as "butter", but i dont think this aio last too long. the smoothness goes away as quick as cheap wax. some people claim it still protects because it doesnt bead water yet "sheds" it.. dood, dont forget a car has clearcoat.. its suppose to shed water and bead a little on its own. i tried hiding swirls and holograms with it and it looked great! but once again, a week later its all gone and everything showed up again. plus i was hoping since its a aio, it would actually get rid of holograms but no luck on that too. i know i know.. just because i dont see or feel it, the protection is still there.. yada yada ya.. i highly doubt it. waxes/sealants are very thin.. if it was covering holograms before and it came back, i would think a lot of the product is gone. i used kaio before and it is night and day! kept the car smooth for about a month+, even when its dusty and you can defintely tell its still on by the shine and how it really beads water.

im starting to get a feeling optimum is a viral marketing scheme and many people here are in on it. :heelclick

SVR
05-17-2007, 01:53 AM
If you had the original formula OHC, I could understand it but the new formula is much stronger

There is a bottle of old formula on my shelf and I can get 1200 marks out with foam and it sure is nice to work with.

The only thing I dislike about their polishes is they don`t deliver a menzerna, blackfire and ultra gloss blinding shine. So I never finish with Optimum

Zet
05-17-2007, 03:46 AM
IMO OHC cuts more than Meg`s #84 and it has a much longer work time. The thinner consistency goes hand in hand with the fact that you should use less OHC compared to many other compounds. Btw, you can`t judge the cut of a product by it`s consistency, it would be easy to add a thickening agent without changing the cut. If you need more cut you could just step up to a wool pad. That being said I`m also going to get some 3M compound myself, for bad oxidation, scratches etc. But for removing "normal" amounts of swirls, light scratches and oxidation, OHC is my favorite product.

Setec Astronomy
05-17-2007, 05:48 AM
I have the new OP, and the old OC and OHC. I have only used them once, and I couldn`t tell the difference between the OC and OHC. I understand the newer formulations of the OC and OHC have more cut and more difference between them, but from my experience, the older products are definitely more pad-dependent than many products, and therefore perform more of a "lubricating" function to allow you to work the pad for a long time. The technique to avoid splatter is to use a very small amount of product.

Ron Harris
05-17-2007, 05:59 AM
im starting to get a feeling optimum is a viral marketing scheme and many people here are in on it.

You really need to rethink this quote.

If you don`t like the product line we cant change that. Your probably to good of a detailer to really teach any new tricks to as well.

coupe
05-17-2007, 06:20 AM
the only reason i use ohc is to dilute other compounds so its more sun friendly. otherwise, i think its useless. #1 its too thin and splatters everywhere. #2 i have doubts about its cutting ability even via rotary. some people said to only use very little but that didnt work out for me either.. it felt like milk! it seems to not cut anything or will take a while for it to "breakdown". for sure, it hardly gets out 2000 wetsand marks where something like 3m compounds or meguiars will knock it out in just a few passes. if it doesnt get out something as fine as 2000 grits, what are the chances it will take out a moderately deep scratch?

i will also bash on the whole optimum line. i see no difference between their polish, compound, and hyper compound as its just water-like.. they all feel like light polishes to me.

the poli-seal yields great results and is easy to use as "butter", but i dont think this aio last too long. the smoothness goes away as quick as cheap wax. some people claim it still protects because it doesnt bead water yet "sheds" it.. dood, dont forget a car has clearcoat.. its suppose to shed water and bead a little on its own. i tried hiding swirls and holograms with it and it looked great! but once again, a week later its all gone and everything showed up again. plus i was hoping since its a aio, it would actually get rid of holograms but no luck on that too. i know i know.. just because i dont see or feel it, the protection is still there.. yada yada ya.. i highly doubt it. waxes/sealants are very thin.. if it was covering holograms before and it came back, i would think a lot of the product is gone. i used kaio before and it is night and day! kept the car smooth for about a month+, even when its dusty and you can defintely tell its still on by the shine and how it really beads water.

im starting to get a feeling optimum is a viral marketing scheme and many people here are in on it. :heelclick

I primarily use Optimum and i havent found anything your saying to be true at all. The only thing i can think of is you have the old versions. Ive never used the old versions so i dont know. I have never found any of the 3 to be watery and there is a big big difference in cut between the 3. Do your bottles have the gold sticker stating that they are the new formula?

imported_Denzil
05-17-2007, 07:36 AM

I really don`t think it`s wise to make such a generalization, especially to a forum that we all participate in.

BobD
05-17-2007, 07:46 AM
How much experience do you have with a rotary? The reason I ask is because you say it splatters but usually with experience you don`t have splatter issues.

Just curious, I am sure we can figure out why it is not workinf for you.

klnyc
05-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Okay, I was about to post up something like that ^^^^^^.

Mine OHC comes out prettly liquidly. Mine mind thought was suppose be thick.

Anyone can snap a pic of the old OHC and new OHC:nixweiss

imported_rydawg
05-17-2007, 09:05 AM
I think OP/OC/OHC are perfect for the beginner as they are well lubed and safer than most. Do they give mind blowing results like menzerna? No. But for a newbie using Menzerna pro polishes would be tough and are more geared for the pro. Plus the price of OP polishes are very reasonable for what they are for the newbie starting out.

I have used the new OHC (new formula sticker)and I myself did not see any amazement and was not blown away. I am a pro looking for max results.

For max mind blowing polishes I use Menzerna Pro 3.01 and 3.02. But they are over double in price, very hard to get, harder to use, and require skill. A whole new learning experience is required no matter how long you have been detailing for.

OP does have there niche for being sun friendly and easy to use and for what it is worth they are worth it to most and like I said perfect for the newbie. They do advertise as the perfect polish. The perfect polish is user friendly and ease of use and they have that.

wannafbody
05-17-2007, 10:21 AM
I have the older OHC and have used it on a rotary with a yellow cutting pad. It seemed to me that most of the cutting came from the pad more than the product. It was easy to work with. I currently mix my OHC with HTEC 50/50 and get great results. This combo works great by PC. HTEC works well by PC.

imported_Yal
05-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Is there any product line you like?

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/86104-meguiar-products-not-me.html

So now you hate Optimum, before it was Meguiars. Is it the products or is it you? Just saying....;)

coupe
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Is there any product line you like?

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/86104-meguiar-products-not-me.html

So now you hate Optimum, before it was Meguiars. Is it the products or is it you? Just saying....;)

I was gonna point this out also.

Starting to sound like inexperiance.

bjackson8
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I have had great success removing severe defects with OHC on a yellow pad.

imported_themightytimmah
05-17-2007, 10:53 AM
OHC cuts pretty well but you need to work it for a very long time to get those effects... I`ve actually had problems with half circle marks if I don`t work it in for long enough. It`s not my go-to compound but I do keep it on the shelf for those tough sun jobs.

I don`t think you`re getting the full effect of Optimum unless you try it with wool. I was never too impressed with OP until Rydawg suggested using it with a light cut wool pad - now I`ve got the same cutting I get with HTHC or OHC/foam with shallower holograms, less splatter, less buildup and more fun to be honest about it. I`d say about 80% of my details lately have gotten OP on a wool pad... those that didn`t were either wrecked real bad or Hondas.