PDA

View Full Version : DG 101... why do I not see this one mentioned here?

bast525
05-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Hey all, as mentioned elsewhere, I was at Carquest today to pick up some DG AW, and was also looking for DG 105.

I didn`t see any 105, but they did have DG 101, which, from my understanding of the label, seems to be an all-in-one product similiar to Klasse or Zaino.

It claims to clean and lightly polish, while also leaving behind a protective polymer layer.

No one really seems to talk about 101 here, and just wanted to get more info on this product.

If it were a similiar product to Klasse or Zaino AIO, I would like to give it a try, as it is priced low and is available OTC as opposed to KAIO or ZAIO which seem to be order only.

Can anyone shine a little light on this for me? Best uses for DG 101?

AL-53
05-16-2007, 07:19 PM
101 is a very good AIO type product..cleans great and leaves a nice gloss ...I use 101 as a base for 105...gives a real nice look....I use a blue or white LC pad with it ..clean the paint...I remove it...next day I lay on the 105...it really goes on thin with the 101 on the paint..here is a post of some one who did it like that after I told him about it....

Autogeekonline Car Detailing Forum - DuraGloss 101 and 105 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/3718-duragloss-101-105-a.html)

Al

bast525
05-16-2007, 08:46 PM
101 is a very good AIO type product..cleans great and leaves a nice gloss ...I use 101 as a base for 105...gives a real nice look....I use a blue or white LC pad with it ..clean the paint...I remove it...next day I lay on the 105...it really goes on thin with the 101 on the paint..here is a post of some one who did it like that after I told him about it....

Autogeekonline Car Detailing Forum - DuraGloss 101 and 105 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/3718-duragloss-101-105-a.html)

Al

Thanks for the link... so do you HAVE to do the 101 with a PC? I don`t have any kind of buffer/orbital.

If you need a PC to do well with the 101, I`ll stick with the ZAIO

AL-53
05-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the link... so do you HAVE to do the 101 with a PC? I don`t have any kind of buffer/orbital.

If you need a PC to do well with the 101, I`ll stick with the ZAIO

no...you can use it just like ZAIO by hand...they were actually designed to use by hand...but the PC made it a little easier ..but some have used by hand and got good results....I do my son`s bike by hand with 101 and then 105 and comes out great....

Al

bast525
05-17-2007, 06:06 PM
No one else with an oppinion on this stuff? considering all the DG hype here I`m really surprised no one else has something to say about this product.

imported_themightytimmah
05-17-2007, 07:23 PM
101 is a great AIO - it doesn`t have any abrasives though, which holds it back for me. It`s comprable to Z-AIO or Prime Acrylic.

AL-53
05-17-2007, 07:39 PM
101 is a great AIO - it doesn`t have any abrasives though, which holds it back for me. It`s comprable to Z-AIO or Prime Acrylic.

Tim I was told it does have micro abrasives...and so does the one for Fiberglass....very fine abrasives..

Al

Bluethundra
05-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I think it is a great AIO as well. I use it all the time because my local carquest keeps it in stock and never has the 105.

imported_themightytimmah
05-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Tim I was told it does have micro abrasives...and so does the one for Fiberglass....very fine abrasives..

Al

I stand corrected - good to know.

JB_TSX
05-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I also bought a DG101 at Carquest because it was on sale and they don`t have 105. Good to know that this is a good product. I have yet to try it.

kkreit01
05-18-2007, 09:45 AM
It`s funny you ask. I just bought a new ride Wed: 07 Fusion SE. I hit it with DG 101 last night, and was amazed by the results. The flake pop is great, and it looks real glossy. I was amazed how dirty the paint actually was on this new car. Carquest was also able to order some 105 for me. It was close enough (Des Moines) -- to where I do not have to pay freight. I ordered to 2 bottles of 105, and it might be here today!

I`ve also used the Sport Utility Polsih 108 (discontinued). I e-mailed DG, and they said it`s very similar to 101. I found 108 to be easier to remove, but I only did 1 panel/time -- as directed. I applied 101 to the whole car before buffing. Neither products are dusty, or stain trim.

I plan to top the 101 with 105, and then use AW about every 4 weeks. So far, I`m very impressed with DG products. I wish they would market to more retailers.

TigerMike
05-18-2007, 10:08 AM
101 is pretty similar to KAIO with its cleaning abilities, and its durability. I have found 101 to work much better via PC than by hand, since 101 is thicker than KAIO. 101 does have micro abrasives and cleaners and I think it performs as good as KAIO or other all in ones. From my experience (I have used DG products for several years), 101 is their strongest cleaning product. It will not really remove significant swirls, but that`s not its job anyway. 101, by itself, will last about 2-3 months, and I would finish with 105 for greater protection and durability.

mose
05-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I have used DG products, along with others, since I started detailing and have always been very happy with the look they give the cars I have done. I have also been blown away EVERYTIME I have used KAIO. Even after claying and a two step polish, KAIO seems to make the paint even slicker and cleaner!! Is this the kind of preformance I can expect with 101? Is it something that bonds so well with 105 that I should use it only on cars that I will be using 105 on? I, whole heartedly, believe in DG products and have no doubt that 101 does everything you say it does....it just feels like I would be doubling up on two different products that do the same thing.....please advise!!! Thanks!

TigerMike
05-18-2007, 10:54 AM
If you already have KAIO, then I would keep using it. 101 isn`t going to really "better" KAIO`s performance, it`s just that it`s cheaper, more readily available, and works nearly as well. You do not have to use 101 to get 105 to bond correctly, so it`s not necessary. 105 will have no problem over KAIO. I guess what I meant was...that for people who are looking for an alternative to KAIO and can get it easily, then 101 is a good alternative. I wouldn`t necessarily choose 101 over AIO though, as I agree that AIO always leaves a very nice surface.