PDA

View Full Version : Is DG AW layerable?

Pages : [1] 2

bast525
05-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I just bought and tried DG AW today after washing my car... and I can say my first impression is this is great stuff. I`m glad I found this forum and so many people recommeding this product. Of course... I`ll have to wait and see for myself as far as durability but the initial ease of use and how good the car looked afterwards... I am very happy with it.

Now, I had already applied a carnauba wax about a week ago so figured this would be a good booster, but for the future, I will be looking at applying this over an AIO like Zaino or possibly adding a layer of something like Collinite over the Zaino. Either way, I`m planning on using AW after every wash or every other wash at most.

My main question is, is there any point to adding additional `coats` of AW? Like wash, dry, apply AW, then later that day dust the car off or something and another coat, or just apply another coat immediately?

imported_paradigm
05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
a second coat will help ensure you get uniform coverage over the paint surface. that would result in improved appearance and durability.

mikebai1990
05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
No, I don`t believe that extra layers will provide extra durability. In fact, I`ve heard that multiple layers will mute the flake and appearance of the paint slightly (note, slightly). Maybe do 2 layers just to ensure even coverage.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-16-2007, 06:41 PM
a second coat will help ensure you get uniform coverage over the paint surface. that would result in improved appearance and durability.

and :nomore:

bast525
05-16-2007, 06:43 PM
okay thanks for that info.

I did two layers specificaly for that reason, to be sure I didn`t miss any spots. I must say the car looks NICE so I don`t think I over did it.

So then, next question, how often to use or more like, how often is TOO often?

I was thinking after every wash... now... with my schedule, I sometimes go as long as a month between washes, and other times it`s every week. When I can`t wash, I try to hit the car with Meguiar`s QD.

So... what is the most often I should use the AW?

sevenrd
05-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I use AW about once a month. In between I`ll use FK425 after washes.

mikebai1990
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I would reapply every 2-3 weeks. That`s about my washing interval, so I apply AW everytime I wash the car.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-16-2007, 09:01 PM
I think both posts #6, and #7 will provide the best benefit of the product. I think application in moderation is better when it comes to maintenance vs "heavy coating".

Heres an interseting article put out by the folks of einszett. (http://www.1z-usa.com/education_car_waxing.html)

A trend has been taking place in the past few years. We’re often asked if einszett Glanz Wax can be "layered". In case you haven’t heard this term before, layering refers to the ability to apply multiple coats of of a sealant on the paintwork surface during one application period for the purpose of added protection. This practice stems from the multiple applications of polymer acrylic sealants which are semi-permanent in nature and therefore can be applied in several layers. However, with wax because it is a temporary substance applied to the surface, it can not be applied in layers. Applying another coat of wax immediately following the first application will remove some of the wax previously applied. All that is accomplished is using product twice as fast. Layering is a good example of when the “more is better†theory is not true. There is nothing better about it. Maybe you can find some value to it....

wannafbody
05-16-2007, 09:20 PM
since wax doesn`t adhere in the same mannner as some pure polymer systems layers is less effective and may end up removing some of the previously applied product

dmxsoulja3
05-16-2007, 09:53 PM
dg105 and aw on detail day, then after that aw every other week or so after washing but only twice, I use fast clean and shine DG QD and it enhances the gloss and surface slickness after those intial apps and washing, after a couple months of FC&S I clay the car and start over...so that makes it almost 6 months of coverage for me...it beads hard even when the car is covered in dirt, for the money and my own vehicle I think its hard to beat

SVR
05-17-2007, 02:30 AM
It can be layered. Mostly it`s two coats after every wash, using it as a water sheeting booster during the rinse and then two coats once dry

I don`t mind muting or hiding the flake in my car, that`s my goal as I dislike the colour it goes to when in the full sunlight. The darker, solid colour when at night or in the shade what I prefer.

Junebug
05-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Interesteing article Patrick, I`m chuckling thinking of the guys that do 14 coats of 70 dollar or more boutique waxes on their "babies". They must be in shock now - then denial, next will come the anger, etc.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Well, we`ll just let those believe what they may..........As long as the surface is cared for, thats really all that matters. I usually just hit it once myself, but tend to refresh it on a monthly matter anyway....

TigerMike
05-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I think adding multiple coats of AW immediately is wasteful as the product has not had a chance to set up, however after the product is fully hardened, cured, bonded, etc, I think additional coats can buildup and increase durability. I use it as often as possible (usually after washing), because the car looks so darned good afterwards. AW makes the car look like I`ve spent all day slaving over a wax job, but instead it takes 5 minutes! :D

ReDaLeRt
05-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I think both posts #6, and #7 will provide the best benefit of the product. I think application in moderation is better when it comes to maintenance vs "heavy coating".

Heres an interseting article put out by the folks of einszett. (http://www.1z-usa.com/education_car_waxing.html)

Maybe you can find some value to it....

Their wax has cleaning compounds, so you CAN`T add multiple layers.

A wax without this chemicals CAN be multilayered.