PDA

View Full Version : Pricing help...

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
A customer is bringing me a 2001 Honda Odyssey... pic here...http://www.edmunds.com/media/editorial/carmudgeon/01.honda.odyssey.500.jpg

While I do great work (according to my clients), I am not at the level of experience and in position to charge what many others on here do. My full details begin at $160, and I avg $190/detail. The issue here is, I haven`t done a van since my newbie days 1.5-2years ago, and don`t know what exactly to charge... I told the guy $220 minimum for a full detail, considering paint doesn`t need any special care... I guess I would just like to know how big of a hit I just took, or if I charged too much, but I`m sure that`s not the case...

thanks

joshtpa
05-16-2007, 01:07 PM
You can do one of two things I believe. First break it down by the hour and figure out what you charge per hour, and then figure out how long it will take. Or you can charge the same thing you would charge for an SUV.

Envious Eric
05-16-2007, 02:21 PM
250+ minimum

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-16-2007, 02:30 PM
250+ minimum

That`s why I figured I went a little too low... I`m expecting to finish in about 10 hours, since my avg. for a regular sedan (BMW 3er or nissan altima, etc.) is about 6-7hrs...

That`s $22/hour and I usually make $25-30 so it`s no big deal.

The client has a few other cars and will be recommending friends so I think it`s worth it.

Thanks for the replies

Greg Nichols
05-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Odysseys have a lot of paint, and its soft. I spent about 8 hrs working a full detail. I charge about 35/hr so your estimate seems great.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Odysseys have a lot of paint, and its soft. I spent about 8 hrs working a full detail. I charge about 35/hr so your estimate seems great.

What pads/products did you use on it? I know honda`s have softer paint, that`s why I figured a pass with a rotary and 80 or 83 then 82 or 9 would do the trick... maybe even only 80/orange idk

imported_themightytimmah
05-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Vans have actually been a decent gig for me - they`re usually pretty filthy, but the seats come out easy and then there are no cracks or crevices (time killer) to deal with. Last Odyssey I did was a 2005 and it took me 5.5 hours to shampoo and dress the entire interior, clean and dress the engine bay, and VM + EX-P the paint.

For the paint, #80/orange @1700 followed by #80/white PC6 oughta do her perfect.

I`d say 220.... 300 if it`s black.

Envious Eric
05-16-2007, 02:51 PM
80 orange and wax might be able to handle it....

but on a van I did a while back, it took me 5 hours to onestep it with poliseal, polish the glass, and do a full interior, as well as tires, wheels, etc....add in one more step of polishing and add about 2 hours to the time...so 7-8 hours seems about right for a two step process, or about 9-10 for a three step process...

I bring a helper on anything bigger than a small SUV when 3 stepping+ the exterior

Greg Nichols
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I would be scared to use a rotary on that paint. I used a PC with a orange LC and OHC in the places that needed it. I followed it up with a white or similar soft pad and OP. I topped it with OS and then S100. She just got back from a long road trip and beat the paint with bugs and infrequent rain/sun that caused water spots that dont just QD out. I guess I need to clay and/or polish again and start over.

I don`t like megs very much...........