PDA

View Full Version : How to apply Z16?

Radian78
05-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Greetings,

I`ve been having some issues trying to figure out how to get Z16 on my tires.

The Zaino site recommends a `sponge`. I tried the regular Yellow/Green scrubby you use in the kitchen, but it tears up the yellow side and also just soaks up the Z16. I feel like I`m wasting the product. (Z16 is like water)

Should I get one of those contoured foam applicators like the one that comes in the Armorall Extreme Tire Gel?

Honestly, I found my AmorAll tire foam much easier to use, and also shinier... :think:

So what kinda applicators do you guys use?

Thx.

gmblack3
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
First its very important to have a very clean tire surface. Scrub it down with some APC.

Yes I use a tire swipe. Most auto part stores sell this one from Eagle One:

http://www.eagleone.com/images/products/Tire_Swipes.jpg

Apply a good amount of Z-16 to the tire swipe and then apply to the tire. Put it on kind of thick and let it dry on its own.

imported_GregCavi
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
First its very important to have a very clean tire surface. Scrub it down with some APC.

Yes I use a tire swipe. Most auto part stores sell this one from Eagle One:

http://www.eagleone.com/images/products/Tire_Swipes.jpg

Apply a good amount of Z-16 to the tire swipe and then apply to the tire. Put it on kind of thick and let it dry on its own.

That`s the ticket. Make sure the tires are VERY clean prior to application, then use the tire swipe.

Greg

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Honestly, I found my AmorAll tire foam much easier to use, and also shinier... :think:

Z16 will never be as shiny as AA foam.

wannafbody
05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
if you used AA then clean the tire really good with an APC before applying Z16

JJUACC
05-15-2007, 05:41 PM
The swipes are the best for your purpose.

However, they don`t get in to the grooves where the sidewalls meet the tread. I have to use an old toothbrush and pour a little bit of Z-16 in to the removed lid and dip the brush. I only do this for car shows.

derekbmw
05-15-2007, 06:23 PM
foam paint brush.

Radian78
05-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I will be sure to clean the tires very well this time before applying Z-16, and get me some of those foam applicators.

Thx!

Dan
05-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Don`t expect the Z16 to add shine, I don`t think that is the concept behind it. I believe the goal is a natural "new" look. I find as soon as rain hits, they are back to just looking very clean and black... like new tires. I actually like the look, especially on higher profile tires.

gmblack3
05-16-2007, 03:39 PM
If you apply it thick and let it dry on its own, you will have shine, just not the glossy thick looking type of shine.

derekbmw
05-17-2007, 05:46 AM
2 coats, very nice shine and durability.

Accumulator
05-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I like the semi-satin look of Z16, but it might not be right for everybody. I use the applicators from TOL with the rotating handles: Tire Dress Express (http://www.topoftheline.com/tire-dressing-applicator.html) . I was utterly astounded by how much I like that gizmo, haven`t used a regular tire swipe or other application medium since I got it.

Letting the Z16 soak in/dry for a while before you buff off the excess seems to help its durability.