PDA

View Full Version : All Glazes have slight cleaners in them ?

pingable
05-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I recall speaking with a chap and we were talking about glazes. While some glazes may/may not have abrasive qualities to it, even a true hand polish/glaze - it`s oils will have a ever so cleaning action to it. This allows the glaze to bond to the paint....

Would anyone concur ?

I don`t really use glazes that much as I have only really used #81 for the past couple of years. Looking to add RMG and possibly CG EZ creme to my stash as well.

imported_bpfoley
05-14-2007, 06:43 PM
FK 303 has some decent cut to it, which I guess makes it not a true glaze. Don`t expect any real corrective abilities, but it does burnish the paint nicely and makes to surface pop.

On the other hand, Menzerna FTG is more of a pure polish or glaze.

Baera
05-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Yes, some oils have very slight abrasive qualities to them. In terms of oils though, theres not nearly enough abrasiveness to have any real correcting ability.

pingable
05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Interesting. Never would think a ~oil~ would be slightly abrasive . Not looking for correction in any glaze. More closer to beautification.

I`m planning to just play with a couple of glaze/wax scenarios until I find one I like as I don`t plan on going crazy on polishing on these daily drivers any more. I`ll polish to bring the paint back up, but not to the paint it`s perfect......

Baera
05-14-2007, 07:18 PM
I can`t say I have seen first hand that an oil can be abrasive though! lol

Not to long ago I ran across a "polish" that was 100% abrasive free and polished via a special mixture of cleansing oils. -According to the the description, anyway. I wish I could remember what brand it was.

Black Diamond
05-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Megs #7 does not have any cleaners and is very rich in oils. A little hard to work with though until you get the hang of it. It gives a nice "wet"look too.

imported_themightytimmah
05-14-2007, 08:42 PM
You can get abrasive action without abrasives - a glaze will lubricate whatever pad it is used with. I`ve seen 2000 grit marks removed with nonabrasive PB`s Pro Polish - and a wool pad.

Accumulator
05-14-2007, 09:27 PM
chefwong- IMO you`re right about the potential cleaning action of "nonabrasive/non-cleaner" glazes. The stuff will at the very least affect some degree of solvent action on the surface being worked (even *water* could do this). Whether or not it`ll be enough of a solvent action to matter :nixweiss

#7 is a good example- way back in the day (i.e., 1970s) I used it as a gentle cleaner on ss black lacquer- it *did* clean the paint, you could see the dirt on the polishing media.

For that matter, even LSPs like Souveran can do a *little* cleaning. Who hasn`t seen a little dirt show up on their wax applicator pad at one time or another ;)

themightytimmah- You`re right! Another thing we used to do is apply #7 with terry...on very soft ss lacquer it would do a *little* correction. It was the final "abrasive" step in the process that used to be called a "hand-rubbed lacquer finish".

DM101
05-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Megs #7 does not have any cleaners and is very rich in oils. A little hard to work with though until you get the hang of it. It gives a nice "wet"look too.

I have been told by Meguiars that 3, 5, 7, 81 are all pure "POLISHES" and can be applied to your LSP without any hard cleaning power. They will last a few days. They are great under your LSP I know that. And I have put them on top of LSP"S and I can`t tell if any of the LSP has been lost. Anyway polishes and glazes are the most under utilized products!!! They really help your car`s finish.

Accumulator
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I have been told by Meguiars that 3, 5, 7, 81 are all pure "POLISHES" ...

Yeah, people have the mistaken impression that they`re abrasive :nixweiss I think some of it comes from the "clay" that they have as ingredients...people think "clay = abrasive so the stuff is *functionally* abrasive", which is incorrect.

And yeah#2 glazes can really help some finishes, but OTOH the Meg`s glazes don`t do a *thing* for me on perfectly prepped Audi clear. It`s like they can`t get a toehold, no micro-fissures to get into; they wipe on and wipe off with no discernable effect. I sure do like them on ss though, and also on imperfect b/c.

One of these days I gotta try some of the new-tech glazes...still haven`t tried the Danase Speed Glaze sample that BlkZ28Conv sent me :o