PDA

View Full Version : Polymer vs. Acryllic?

bast525
05-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Well.. this seems to be what it really boils down to. On one of the articles available on this website (The Perfect Shine), the author strongly recommends an acryllic all-in-one or sealant product for protection, and gives some good reasoning behind this.

Yet, looking around on this forum, it seems far more people go the polymer route, using products like Zaino and Duragloss.

So... again, the more I read, the more confused I become :D

I have a thread going about which particular product would best suite my situation, but now I`m more just curious to know the differences/benefits/drawbacks between polymer waxes and acryllic sealants. Not so much what everyone`s preference is, but really just what the differences are. So that I can better make a decision on what will work best for me.

Crusader101
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I think that it boils down to which form of high end chemical is most compatible with both your car`s make and color, that of which will produce the best result in appearance and durability.

Sort of like us humans: some of us may prefer a high end vodka such as Grey Goose, or find that a Macallan scotch is more compatible to our palate. Both are great in their own right but what works for one may not work for someone else.

TortoiseAWD
05-14-2007, 01:12 PM
If I`m not mistaken (and I`m not a chemist, nor do I play one on TV), acrylic is a particular type of polymer, much like chocolate is a particular flavor of ice cream. So, all acrylics are polymers, but not all polymers are acrylics. Zaino and DG are two examples of non-acrylic polymers.

Thor is right, though, it`s going to come down to what appeals to you visually, your durability requirements, and ease-of-use. IMO, you won`t go wrong choosing Klasse or Werkstatt (acrylics), or Zaino or DG (non-acrylic polymers) . . . all have good durability. If you`re just starting out with detailing, I`d suggest trying Duragloss first, as it may be available OTC for you, and it`s relatively inexpensive and easy to use. If you like how DG looks and works, you can stick with it, or start experimenting from there.

Tort

bast525
05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
there must be more to it... I mean, I`m no chemist by my understanding of polymers and acryllics in general... they are very different in what they do and how they behave. Not in how they apply to cars, but just in general. I don`t really understand how they differ when it comes to paint on a car. But I have to imagine that they do behave differently, in how they apply, how the protect, and yes, how they look.

but lacking the time and money to test them each for myself... I`m hoping someone who has can give me a comparison in the differences between the two.

TortoiseAWD
05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
All of the following should be taken with a heaping dose of "in my opinion" and "in my experience" . . .

Klasse and Werkstatt (acrylics) are slightly more difficult to use than non-acrylic polymers. They`re a bit more difficult to buff off, and can be a real bear to remove if applied heavily. Once you figure out a technique that works, though, it`s not a major concern. The resulting finish may appear slightly darker than the polished unsealed paint. The paint will feel smooth and slick, but not artificially so . . . sort of like polished marble.

Zaino and DG I find are a bit easier to use than the acrylics. The "look" is a little brighter and clearer, sometimes at the expense of depth, sometimes not (depends on color). The resulting finish will feel very slick.

All of the products mentioned will have excellent durabilty, especially if occasionally maintained with their respective "booster" sprays. IMO, if you have a dark colored, non-metallic car (blue/black/red), try the acrylics, as they lend a nice, wet depth to solid dark colors. If you have a lighter color, or a metallic, try DG or Zaino. The more reflective shine makes light colors "pop" (super bright whites and silvers), and un-muted metallic flake in any color stands out strong.

So, Tort`s rule-of-thumb: If I want to emphasize depth on a solid color, or if I want more of a "wet glow" instead of "bright shine", I use Klasse or Werkstatt; light colors and any metallic where I want the underlying flake to really stand out, DG or Zaino (or any of the other non-acrylic polymers that finish clear/bright). It doesn`t always hold true, though . . . for example, the silver that Subaru used on my WRX is almost too bright, with a huge "flip" to the metallic. I`m finding that using Werkstatt and Sonus Acrylic Glanz turns down the brightness just enough that you can see some reflection, and in turn, the whole car looks wetter (hard to do with silver), and there`s still more than enough of the flake shining through to let you know the car is silver, not grey.

OK, I`ve rambled long enough, and probably still haven`t given you a good answer. :D Good luck with your choice . . .

Tort

SuperBee364
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Wow, great info... thanks, Tort.

TortoiseAWD
05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Wow, great info... thanks, Tort.You`re welcome . . . however, you should be aware that any info from me should be taken with an appropriately-sized grain of salt:

http://members.cox.net/sborders/SaltBlock.jpg

Mmmmm, NaCl . . .

Tort

jetblack911
05-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I am a HUGE fan of polymers, I think. I found this polish, it makes the black clear coat finish shine for weeks! Even after I wash the car, it seems to enhance the shine. No buffing!!!!!! They say it contains "multiple polymers"?? I got it here...

http://www.cleaningdetailing.com/car_polish.htm

Bigpoppa3346
05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
:beware The above post seems like spam to me.

jetblack911
05-14-2007, 02:48 PM
No dude, a real post. Just a fan of the polish.

TortoiseAWD
05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
So it`s just coincidence that you`re from Minneapolis, and the company you linked to is in Coon Rapids, MN (a suburb of Minneapolis)? Convenient.

You get the benefit of the doubt for the moment, but I gotta say, my nose is agreeing with Bigpoppa`s . . .

Tort

(moderator, shill-killer)

bast525
05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Well, my car is a solid, very bright red (Mazda dubs it `True Red`).

though... with being a daily driver and parked outside 24/7... I`m just really not that concerned with how the sealant will make the car look. Every time I wash my car, wax my car, whatever... within a day or two it looks like crap, covered in water spots, pollen, tree sap....

So really, I`m much more concerned with a product that is easy to apply, easy to buff off, easy to use by hand (no buffer/orbital here), and hopefully, that will protect for a long time so I don`t have to re-apply very often. I`m really hoping to do this whole thing no more than two-three times a year if at all possible, and just do washes every two weeks or so.

I`d trade better looks for durability if that`s the choice at hand.

wannafbody
05-14-2007, 10:01 PM
a lot of compaines use the word polymer to denote a chain of molecules. they can be completely synthetic (acryllic or amino) or mixed with carnauba.

Ron Harris
05-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I think that it boils down to which form of high end chemical is most compatible with both your car`s make and color, that of which will produce the best result in appearance and durability.

Sort of like us humans: some of us may prefer a high end vodka such as Grey Goose, or find that a Macallan scotch is more compatible to our palate. Both are great in their own right but what works for one may not work for someone else.

Then you have those who drink Crown! :nana: :spit: