PDA

View Full Version : New to detailing, some product help please?

anubus12
05-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I have never detailed my `05 TL Black. The paint is in pretty good condition. A few scratches here and there, but no major swirls that I can see. Some bug guts I can`t get out, but overall not too bad. I want to detail it to start to protect.

I have purchased the following:

- Jeff`s Werkstatt Acrylic Gloss

- Jeff`s Werkstatt Acrylic Jett

- Jeff`s Werkstatt Prime

I have read about a bunch of different products here, but don`t really know what to get. What is the best? What is easiest to learn and use with a PC?

- Klasse

- Menzerna

- Poorboys

- Zaino

- Jeff`s Werkstatt

- etc.

All probably good products, but I would like to start off right. So any suggestions on what to get, perhaps a kit, would be most appreciated. Thanks!

anubus12
05-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I have never detailed my `05 TL Black. The paint is in pretty good condition. A few scratches here and there, but no major swirls that I can see. Some bug guts I can`t get out, but overall not too bad. I want to detail it to start to protect.

I have purchased the following:

- Jeff`s Werkstatt Acrylic Gloss

- Jeff`s Werkstatt Acrylic Jett

- Jeff`s Werkstatt Prime

I have read about a bunch of different products here, but don`t really know what to get. What is the best? What is easiest to learn and use with a PC?

- Klasse

- Menzerna

- Poorboys

- Zaino

- Jeff`s Werkstatt

- etc.

All probably good products, but I would like to start off right. So any suggestions on what to get, perhaps a kit, would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Any suggestions?

joshtpa
05-15-2007, 07:11 AM
YOu are starting off with some great products....There is no best? It is all subjective, but JW is conisdered one of the great products that most people really like.

anubus12
05-19-2007, 10:58 PM
YOu are starting off with some great products....There is no best? It is all subjective, but JW is conisdered one of the great products that most people really like.

Zaino seems to be a bit complicated with all the different products. Also will be EXPENSIVE to get the who "kit". I will be needing to detail very light (newer car) to medium swirls and scratches. What is recommended for that?

mblgjr
05-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Keep reading and searching.

Pay attention to people`s results in the "click and brag".

Will you be working by hand or machine?

If by hand; have you thought about getting a PC?

Zaino done properly is very durable. Some love it, others hate it.

It sounds like you`re trying to do swirl removal along with protection. Right now, with Jeff`s, you`ve covered the protection part. Now you need to figure out what to use for swirl removal. You`ve got tons of options here.

I`d invest in a PC and pads along with Poorboy`s SSR2.5 and 1; OR the Menzerna polishes. Menzerna would be preferred, but the SSR`s are a little easier to work with.

anubus12
05-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Keep reading and searching.

Pay attention to people`s results in the "click and brag".

Will you be working by hand or machine?

If by hand; have you thought about getting a PC?

Zaino done properly is very durable. Some love it, others hate it.

It sounds like you`re trying to do swirl removal along with protection. Right now, with Jeff`s, you`ve covered the protection part. Now you need to figure out what to use for swirl removal. You`ve got tons of options here.

I`d invest in a PC and pads along with Poorboy`s SSR2.5 and 1; OR the Menzerna polishes. Menzerna would be preferred, but the SSR`s are a little easier to work with.

I already have the PC, but haven`t touched it yet. So, the Menzerna line is what you prefer? I heard about this before, but interestingly, didn`t see too many posts here mentioning whether it is really good or not and who`s using it. That`s why I am still looking.

ZeroDfx
05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
"So, the Menzerna line is what you prefer? I heard about this before, but interestingly, didn`t see too many posts here mentioning whether it is really good or not and who`s using it. That`s why I am still looking."

I have used the Menzerna line on my black 97 BMW 540 and am very happy with it. And approximately one year ago when I purchased it, I was at exactly the same point you are: I had been doing a lot of reading in this forum and trying to figure out "the best" products. It`s very easy to become overwhelmed with the multitude of options and personal favorites of members. In the end, I picked Menzerna and went to town learning to use the PC. But frankly, there are so many good products to choose from, you can hardly go wrong. Worst case scenario, you pick something new and ell your stuff in the Trading Post to someone who likes that brand.

Mt advise: don`t anguish over it too long; pick a line and get polishing.

Good luck,

Nick