PDA

View Full Version : Detailing for the first time, some advice please.

anubus12
05-13-2007, 02:28 PM
I have an `05 TL Black which has never been detailed. Only washed by hand. I decided to give detailing a try and bought the following:

- PC at Home Depot

- Propel pads Grey, yellow, orange, green blue

- Jeff Werkstatt Prime

- Jeff Werkstatt Acrylic Gloss

- Jeff Werkstatt Acrylic Jett

- Microfiber towels

- Meguiar`s QD

- Opti-Clay

- NSX car wash

My intentions are these:

1) Wash and dry

2) Opti-Clay entire car using QD as a lubricant

3) Wash and dry again? Or just rinse car and dry?

4) PC with Prime entire car and wipe down with Microfiber (what pad and speed should I use?)

5) PC with Acrylic Jett entire car (what pad and speed should I use?)

6) Use Acrylic Gloss if necessary

7) Wipe down entire car with Microfiber

Could someone give me some directions as to what I SHOULD be doing with the materials that I have?

Any advice would be appreciated!

JB_TSX
05-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Step 3 is optional. So if you want to save time, just proceed to Step 4 from 2.

Personally, I would use Acrylic Gloss as a booster in between full detail.

anubus12
05-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Step 3 is optional. So if you want to save time, just proceed to Step 4 from 2.

Personally, I would use Acrylic Gloss as a booster in between full detail.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean use the Gloss as a booster?

Also, I have small scratches but not alot of swirls. Is Prime the right product to use and with what PAD and speed?

JB_TSX
05-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Oh, I mean like a quick detailer after a wash...

Bigpoppa3346
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Prime with a polishing or finishing pad at 5 or 6. The Prime will pretty much dissappear into the paint after 1-2 passes, so don`t add more product if you don`t see any after just a few passes. You will want to bump up to something abrasive if you have scratches. though.

Bigpoppa3346
05-13-2007, 07:32 PM
BTW, with AJ you shouldn`t use a machine. Apply it thinly, basically buff it off using the applicator, then go back over and do a final wipe with an MF. AJ is a wipe on wipe off product. This is the only method that I have found makes AJ easy to work with, and it can be a real b*tch if you are not doing it the right way.

SVR
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Actually you will be surprised at the protective qualities of Acrylic jett non trigger by rotary or orbital with the softest pads that LC or edge make

I`ve done it on rubber and urethane exterior trims to stop them from water spotting every wash and on plastic bumpers and body kits, it sure gives an amazing wet look shine

it is a spray on, wipe off or wipe on, wipe off product but my testing has found that it gives front and rear bars (painted) the best finish I`ve seen and actually protects the paint better than the other two methods

this version of AJ turns to plastic when used by machine. you can`t use it on the other parts of the body but trim and bumpers/skirts love it

I have video of myself doing it.

anubus12
05-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Prime with a polishing or finishing pad at 5 or 6. The Prime will pretty much dissappear into the paint after 1-2 passes, so don`t add more product if you don`t see any after just a few passes. You will want to bump up to something abrasive if you have scratches. though.

Which of the pads is the finishing or polishing pad? Grey, Blue, or Green?

And if Prime doesn`t help with scratches, what product do you recommend?

anubus12
05-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Is Prime Strong recommended for scratch / swirl removal?