PDA

View Full Version : Steps to remove AIO and SG before PC?

EOppie
05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Hey Guys.

I have an 06 black ford escape that I have been using AIO and SG on. I have been re-applying SG every month or so to keep the shine.

I have some swirls, so I want to start again with the PC. Do I need to do anything prior to washing and claying?

I have read around and it seems I may need a "Dawn Wash"

Ideas? Thanks!

joshtpa
05-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Dawn wash, wipe down, etc...All of these should strip your car of the products to start again.

Bigpoppa3346
05-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Well since you will be polishing, the polish will have no trouble cutting through the AIO and SG. I don`t really get where people get the idea that you have to strip everything before a detail.

EOppie
05-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I don`t really get where people get the idea that you have to strip everything before a detail.

Thats what I figured...however I didn`t know if it would be less gunky and such when polishing out with OP. Which is why I thought a dawn wash may be needed.

Any special tips with the dawn wash? I will do up a search and see if I can find how much to dillute, if anyone has a tip or two I would love it.

joshtpa
05-13-2007, 09:57 AM
I think a Dawn wash is a good idea...You have to wash the car before polishing anyway.

EOppie
05-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I plan on it. Now I just need to work up my layers of SG again....maybe I need to pick up some opti-seal :-)

Crusader101
05-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Up until recently, I thought that Klasse was the cat`s meow but after joining this forum I`ve discovered many alternatives, namely Jeff`s Werkstatt. Apparently, a more modern version of Klasse, I have a batch on its way and am eager to see how the two compare.

Accumulator
05-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Well since you will be polishing, the polish will have no trouble cutting through the AIO and SG. I don`t really get where people get the idea that you have to strip everything before a detail.

I *generally* agree with this, and Dawn never stripped KSG in my experience (doesn`t even strip a healthy carnauba for me).

BUT...sometimes I`ve had some issues when polishing through a very healthy build-up of KSG. It gums up my pads something awful and leaves smeared, hard to remove polish residue...big PIA (which I sure never expected, this last happened with 3M PI-III MG 05937).

So you`re probably OK polishing through it, but if you have problems I`d use IPA to compromise the existing KSG. Spray or wipe it on, let it dwell for a little while (not long enough to evaporate ;) ) and then wipe with a MF.

juster
05-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Newbie here, but if one were to start over and not planning on polishing, could one simply apply AIO to strip the old SG?

joshtpa
05-13-2007, 05:53 PM
You can...It might not get all of it off, so if you are going to wash, you might as well use a soap that will strip it.

Pennypacker
05-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Personally, I would wash with a good quality car soap then do an IPA wipedown.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Personally, I would wash with a good quality car soap then do an IPA wipedown.

+1...........

pogo123
05-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Newbie here, but if one were to start over and not planning on polishing, could one simply apply AIO to strip the old SG?

AIO will remove old product far better then any soap will (keep the dish soap in the kitchen, even Proctor and Gamble says don`t use it to wash a car), but as Pennypacker said an IPA wipedown will work also.

spotter
05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
If you have several layers of SG on the car I doubt that dawn washes on 7 consecutive days would even dent the SG.