PDA

View Full Version : Detailed my new `07 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

ssmokn
05-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Earlier in the week I took delivery of a new Subaru WRX STI. I was looking for a *fun* daily driver and my two primary candidates where the Mitsu Lancer EVO MR and the Subaru WRX STI. I really think you can`t go wrong with either one but I opted for the Subaru based on personal preference. I`m in my mid 40`s (probably going through a mid life crisis -- who knows:cooleek: ) and I do get some interesting looks while I`m in the car -- especially from the 20 somethings. Must be the huge wing -- who knows.

Anyway, the dealer was wonderful and at my request they didn`t remove the protective paint plastic until I was ready to take delivery (just to inspect for any damage prior to me taking delivery) and at my request they didn`t wash the car (to avoid the dealer induced marring and swirls).

Not having them wash was a good move. The paint is probably as flawless as I`ve gotten on any new car. The color is Urban Gray Metallic.

I have a garage full of products (everything from Zaino to over the counter stuff) and after giving it some thought here is what I`ve done so far and the results are very nice indeed. I`ll see if I can get a few snapshots to share soon.

- Washed the OEM BBS wheels using some Simple Green Automtive foam followed by a mixture of water and Meguiars GC. A meguiars wheel brush, spoke brush and a microfiber cloth allowed me to get them nice and clean (in the near future I will remove the wheels, clean and clay them and then coat them with some wax and/or Klasse)

- Washed car using my autogeek foam gun with a mixture of Meguiars Gold Glass and water. Foamed the entire car and then gently wiped down with a chenille wash mitt (Costco), while hosing down with fresh water

- 2nd wash using the traditional method using Meguiars Hyper Wash and a the two bucket method using a fresh chenille wash mitt.

- Rinsed the car again and clayed the entire surface using 3M clay and water/Meguiars GC as a lube. I was amazed at how clean the car was (it was on the dealer`s lot for less than a week (from arrival at port) and the plastic was still on which I`m sure helped a lot). The clay removed the dirt line where dirt collected in the adhesive at the edges of the paint protective plastic sheeting.

- All the rinsing was done with a CR spotless water deionizer (I love this thing -- I have very hard water)

- After giving it some thought I decided to go with the Klasse twins. First I went over the entire car (including all glass) with AIO and then SG

- Next I treated all exterior rubber, seals and under hood rubber to 303 Protectant

- I treated the tires with Zaino Z16

- I let the car sit in the

- This morning I went over the car with some Duragloss AW

The results are quite nice.

During the week I plan on giving it another wash and adding a layer of P21 or Collinite 845. I want to get a nice base on as this is going to be a daily driver.

I also went over the interior which was pretty spotless (should be). The windows needed a good cleaning and I treated everything plastic or vinyl to some 303.

Nothing makes me smile like a nice clean car. Thanks to many of you for all the great tips posted here. I don`t post often but I`m here reading just about every day. - Cliff

SuperBee364
05-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Very nice ride, man. I bought my superbee as a mid-life crisis car, too. It was a hard decision between the charger and the WRX, but in the end, the Charger won out cause it`s a much bigger car. With two kids, I need the room.

Post pics of your new ride?

sevenrd
05-12-2007, 08:45 PM
May as well....

:showpics

ssmokn
05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
OK, here are the first pics of this car that I took this AM...

ssmokn
05-13-2007, 01:47 PM
A few more

Geese1
05-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Very nice car! :2thumbs:

I too went through a "mid-life crisis" (although I`m only 35 :D), and was looking at the same two cars as you. I ended up going with the Evo though, and couldn`t be happier. It`s not a daily driver though, so whenever I do get to drive it, it makes it all the more special.

She`s going out to Ohio to be custom tuned in a couple of weeks (added some goodies this spring), and then I plan on doing a full detail to get rid of a few of the minor scratches that have accumulated since I got her last April.

ssmokn
05-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Both the EVO and STI are such great little cars. They are quite competitively matched too. You can`t go wrong with either one IMO. Post some pics. of yours.

If it was a true mid life crisis I should have probably bought one of each :)

I added a coat of Collinite 845 late this afternoon followed by some Duragloss AW tonight. I`ve got a pretty good base on there now.

The little Subie brings a smile to my face every time I fire it up. I was on my way home a few nights ago and I passed someone in my town going the other way in a WR Blue STI. I chucked to myself because this guy had to be in his late 50`s. We glanced at each other as we passed.

Enjoy the EVO!!! Did you go with the MR?

whiteWRX
05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
sweet car!!

I would strongly advise a coat of Wheel Wax because those wheels will be covered in dust.

ssmokn
05-14-2007, 08:56 PM
whiteWRX,

Thanks for the good advice. I noticed that the stock pads dust a LOT. Every evening I give them a wipe down with a MF cloth and some quick detailer.

I`m hoping that I have a chance this weekend to pull the wheels, clean and clay them and I`ll probably put a coat of AIO/SG on them followed by some Collinite or Blitzwax. I don`t have any wheel wax but the Blitzwax seems to hold up fairly well on wheels for me in the past.

ssmokn
05-20-2007, 10:37 AM
During the week last week I added a coat of Collinite 845 followed the next day with some Duragloss AW. I`m very pleased with the results.

Yesterday was wheel day! I scored a brand new set of takeoff rims (with new tires) from the dealer. Last year someone bought an STI from them but wanted aftermarket wheels as part of the deal. The tires still had the nubs on them but the rims where pretty dirty. Factory undercoating overspray, some kind of staining (mine had the same staining) and generally dirty.

Yesterday I pulled my wheels off the car and did detailed all eight wheels! I won`t tell you how long it took but the results are stellar. I also cleaned and detailed the entire undercarriage of the car! I don`t know why I have to make everything a museum piece. A character flaw I guess :).

Wheel cleaning -- all wheels off the car and done on the workbench.

- Rinsed all wheels / tires GC and water

- Sprayed each wheel with 303 Aerospace Cleaner and water mixture (30:1), wiped down with a MF cloth (removed almost all of the staining but did nothing for the undercoat overspray on the backs)

- Sprayed each wheel with Oil Flo Saftey solvent and water mixture (8:1). Cleaned up all the undercoat over spray.

- Clayed each wheel front and back with a silver dollar size piece of 3M clay (an old bar that was on its way out and now dedicated to wheel work) and Meguiars Quick Detailer

- Rinsed and dried well

- Cleaned with Werkstatt Prime Strong (just got this stuff and I like it!)

- Followed by Acrylic Gloss

- This AM I`ll add an LSP of Duragloss AW (hoping it will be my sacrificial topcoat)

- Cleaned the centercaps with Plexus

I also did the bottom of the rocker panels and bottom of the front and rear bumper with the Werkstatt products while I had the car in the air.

Finally I detailed the wheel wheels. I never used to do that step but as ScottWax pointed out dirty wheel wells detract from an otherwise very clean car. I used plain old Armourall for the wheel wells and I`m very happy with the results.

On Friday I was out in the car in the rain all day, when I washed it yesterday (it was pretty dirty) the dirt just rolled off. I still washed with GC and water but the soap and water was almost unnecessary.

useth4z
05-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Nice car, nice color. As for being older, I think the older guys that have that car really know how to drive it. Most of the instructors for NASA have one.

thesacrifice
05-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Want to really love your Subie? Get a prodrive axelback, sounds like HEAVEN

I have a "Steel Grey" Impreza, our colors are "similiar." I`ve had great results with

Jeff Werkstatt Acrylic Jett ontop of Poliseal and boosted with Aquawax

Poliseal topped with Aquawax

Poliseal topped with Opti Seal

ZAIO topped with Clearseal or Optiseal

all great combos :)