PDA

View Full Version : stamp price increase starts monday 5/14/07!

BigAl3
05-12-2007, 02:29 PM
as if high gas prices weren`t enough....

WASHINGTON (May 11) - It will cost a bit more to mail letters and parcels starting Monday. A first-class letter will go up 2 cents to 41 cents.

But there is also some good news - folks will be able to buy "forever" stamps that remain valid regardless of any future increase.

While the new rates take effect Monday, most post offices are closed on Sunday so officials say items dropped in a box that won`t be collected until Monday should have the higher postage on them.

On the other hand, when rates change the agency usually allows a little leeway, and it doesn`t plan a rash of returns for insufficient postage.

Postmaster General John Potter has said that even with the higher prices the agency expects a deficit this year as it struggles to compete in a swiftly changing communications market.

For most people, the first-class rate has the greatest impact, covering cards and letters.

BoxsterCharlie
05-12-2007, 03:30 PM
First, thanks for the reminder! I hate having to get those cent stamps.

Second, it`s too bad they are having issues adapting to the internet, etc. But I`ve always loved their 2-day priority mail and it is a much better value than anything else. I wonder why more merchants don`t use it?

Tasty
05-12-2007, 11:25 PM
I don`t understand why people cry so much every time they raise the rate. It can`t stay the same forever, and most things cost more as time goes on...

wytstang
05-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Because in some areas they suck and lose mail often. My wife and I just got a Christmas card a month a go her freind sent us :-/. Price goes up and service goes down *in some areas* I haven`t had a problem in my area so *I* can`t complain.