PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washers!

Pages : [1] 2

SuperBee364
05-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I love pressure washers. I`ve gone through three of the (reatively speaking) low cost ones available from Costco and Home Depot. Adds up to about $500 spent over the last four years, with nothing to show for it.

So a few days ago, I made the mistake of getting a Lowes Card. Since I had already made that mistake, I figured another one couldn`t hurt, so I put a John Deere gas powered pressure washer on my freshly minted Lowe`s Card.

If you`re seriously thinking about getting a pressure washer, I highly recommend biting the bullet and putting up the cash for a good one right off the bat. The cheap electric Karcher, Huskey, etc. WILL NOT LAST. Promise. They`ll break down within a year, tops. And good luck on trying to get warranty repairs. See the "No Hassle Exhange" sticker on the outside of the Karcher? They LIE! And the reason it`s there? They know they are selling crap merchandise. I`d love to hear other`s experiences with these cheap little toys. I`m sure there will be a few (and a very few at that) that haven`t had any problems with them (yet), but I`d be shocked and amazed if anyone had one that had lasted more than two years with any amount of usage.

Another reason to stay away from the cheap electric pressure washers: they make good pressure, but their total Gallons Per Minute (GPM) rating suuuuucks. Makes it much more time consuming to wash your car. Think about using a hand squirt bottle to rinse your vehicle, and you`ll know what I mean. GPM is very important. I think 1.8 GPM is the absolute minimum for a decent car wash.

Anyway, there are a bunch of top names in pressure washers. If you`re really set on getting an electric, Cam Spray makes about the best ones you can get, but they are really spendy. You can get a higher pressure, higher GPM rated gas powered one for about 150 bucks less than the cheapest electric Cam Spray. Home (http://www.camspray.com) has a PDF catalog of their products, as well as a PDF retail price list. The price list is way out of bounds; you can usually find their products for about 20% cheaper (or even better) than what`s listed on their price list.

This pressure washer, http://www.topoftheline.com/pressure-washer-portable.html is one of the very best electric units you can buy. Their price isn`t bad, either. You`ll also need some serious electrical wiring and a 20 amp circuit (with nothing else on it) to run that washer. See the triple plunger type water pump on the side of it? That`s the best water pump type you can get. Try to stay away from the axial style pumps and go for the triple plunger if you can.

I`ve spent waaaay too much time researching pressure washers, so I`m sorry about the rant...

Just a quick summary...

GPM means more than total pressure. You really don`t need more than about 1800 PSI, unless you`re looking for more cutting power than a wool pad with HTEC.

Triple Plunger pumps are the best

Honda makes one of the best small equipment engines out there. Briggs & Stratton isn`t as good as it used to be.

GPM rules. Get the highest rating you can find.

So try to find a honda powered, triple plunger pump type, high GPM rated washer, and you`ll be set!

Oh, also this foam cannon Cam Spray 527100 - Foamer Attachment - Cam Spray 527100 - Every Pressure Washer. Great Selection of Electric Pressure Washers, Gas Pressure Washers, Hot Water Pressure Washers, Cold Water Pressure Washers, & Much More! (http://www.everypressurewasher.com/Cam-Spray-527100-CAM1243.html#ProdDetails) is just about identical to the one so popular in the UK, and that site has the best price on it I`ve been able to find. I have one on order from them. Can`t wait to give that a shot at 3000 PSI and 2.8 GPM from the John Deere washer. Should be able to blanket the neighborhood.

New wash process is gonna be:

Pressure rinse the car

lay down a nice layer of foam. (CG`s Citrus Wash and Gloss)

Let it sit for a few

Pressure spray it off

lay down another layer of foam.

Rinse out the BHB (the one that CMA sells), and use it to clean the vehicle.

Pressure rinse, and waffle weave dry!

This process should reduce to an absolute minimum any stuff on the paint prior to using the brush, which should be very gentle. Who was it that talked about "you want to try to reduce the potential for swirls as much as you can"? I think this process should reduce the potential!

I`ll post pics once the foam cannon gets here...:chuckle:

Accumulator
05-12-2007, 10:11 AM
SuperBee364- Thanks for posting that!

I`ve gone through three Karchers (two electric and one gas) and got so fed up with the lack or reliablity that I`ve done without one for the last few years. I`ll keep all your info in mind when (not "if" ;) ) I decide to buy my next one.

Good luck with the new wash regimen. Be very gentle with that BHB, don`t scrub so hard that you really bend the bristles. And rinse it out thoroughly and often.

SuperBee364
05-12-2007, 10:21 AM
SuperBee364- Thanks for posting that!

I`ve gone through three Karchers (two electric and one gas) and got so fed up with the lack or reliablity that I`ve done without one for the last few years. I`ll keep all your info in mind when (not "if" ;) ) I decide to buy my next one.

Good luck with the new wash regimen. Be very gentle with that BHB, don`t scrub so hard that you really bend the bristles. And rinse it out thoroughly and often.

Yet another use for the pressure washer!

And thanks to you for your BHB information... I went searching through a bunch of your old posts to find out everything I could about BHB`s...

Now that I think about it, my whole auto care process consists mostly of what I`ve learned from your posts. My cars would still look like crap without the information I`ve gotten from you and the boys here on Autopia.

BMW335i
05-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your summary. It will save many of us time and frustration when looking for good PW`s. :goodjob

GlossyTundra
05-12-2007, 10:58 AM
So if not a Karcher for a good electric power washer under $300, then what are the options?

SuperBee364
05-12-2007, 11:09 AM
So if not a Karcher for a good electric power washer under $300, then what are the options?

Unfortunately, not much... that`s the problem with electric power washers; in order to get a good quality one, you gotta spend alot of coin.

For under 300 bucks, I`d go with a Honda gas powered model. Chances are you won`t be able to find one with a triple plunger pump, but you`d still be better off than buying a cheap-o electric. Just plan on replacing the axial pump every couple years.

GlossyTundra
05-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I didnt want gas, I have to have something that is a little portable. I have heard alot about the karchers and alot of positive things on them.

On a side note, I have a Nothern Tool electric pressure washer on the farm that is like 10+ years old and it still runs perfectly.

David Fermani
05-12-2007, 01:56 PM

You`d be the last person I`d think to ever own a pressure washer!! :shocked :laugh: Please reconsider. :bow

I have an electric with a Cat Pump that I`ve had for 10 years(high volume commercial operation) that`s only gone down 2 times. It produces 1800 psi (I keep it at 1500psi) and uses 2 gallon per minute. I paid about $1100 new through a guy that owns about 5 quarter washes. I figure he`d know the most durable one to buy because he relies on them for his source of income. It`s actually 1step down from a coin-op type that doesn`t run on 220.

Junebug
05-12-2007, 02:36 PM
David - clear the PM folder big guy - can`t get a message to ya!

BlackElantraGT
05-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I`m sure you already know this, but you know that if you bought the PW from Costco, you could take it back at any time right? I`ve heard about the poor reliability issues from the cheaper electrics, but I don`t have the dough to pony up for those expensive electrics, neither do I want to deal with the upkeep and constant noise of a gas powered one. I decided to get the new Karcher 5.85 unit that they`re selling at Costco at the moment. Unlike the other home electric units, this one has an aluminum pump so it "should" last just a bit longer than the others. I`m not expecting it to last forever, but that`s where Costco`s return policy comes into play.

KARCHER USA (http://www.karcher-usa.com/showproducts.php?op=view_prod&param1=242&param2=&param3=)

David Fermani
05-12-2007, 10:49 PM
David - clear the PM folder big guy - can`t get a message to ya!

All cleared up.

LeadingEdgeDetail
05-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I spent $600 on my pressure washer, and it has been the best purchase yet. And I bet it will last 10 years.

(Not same as pictured, but same style)

http://www.vittetoe.com/images/washer2.jpg

Electric is the way to go.

Accumulator
05-13-2007, 09:02 AM
On the electric/gas question, a lot of it depends on what you`re gonna be doing with it. When I`m using it a few hundred yards from the nearest elecrical outlet, or need really *powerful* cleaning, the gas ones are great. But the little electrical models sure are handy.

You`d be the last person I`d think to ever own a pressure washer!!

Well, I use `em for all sorts of non-automotive stuff around the property. I still don`t think I can use one for washes because of the overspray issue in the (increasingly crowded) shop even if I were willing to risk the loose trim issue. My siphon-feed sprayer hooked up to the air compressor is working well for the pre-wash treatment though.

Brandon01- I even had two of the Karchers repaired...they promptly broke again. Really ticks me off as I have a mountain of Karcher attachments that might not fit another brand of pressure washer. The gas-powered one (forget the model #) was a fairly expensive, commercial-grade unit too. Had that one repaired a few times as it worked very well...when it worked.

BlackElantraGT- No COSTCO in my area...the return policy would be handy, but when the PW dies in the middle of a nasty job it`s small consolation...I always seem to have something half-way done when the PW dies.

jaynick808
01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
On the electric/gas question, a lot of it depends on what you`re gonna be doing with it. When I`m using it a few hundred yards from the nearest elecrical outlet, or need really *powerful* cleaning, the gas ones are great. But the little electrical models sure are handy.

Well, I use `em for all sorts of non-automotive stuff around the property. I still don`t think I can use one for washes because of the overspray issue in the (increasingly crowded) shop even if I were willing to risk the loose trim issue. My siphon-feed sprayer hooked up to the air compressor is working well for the pre-wash treatment though.

Brandon01- I even had two of the Karchers repaired...they promptly broke again. Really ticks me off as I have a mountain of Karcher attachments that might not fit another brand of pressure washer. The gas-powered one (forget the model #) was a fairly expensive, commercial-grade unit too. Had that one repaired a few times as it worked very well...when it worked.

BlackElantraGT- No COSTCO in my area...the return policy would be handy, but when the PW dies in the middle of a nasty job it`s small consolation...I always seem to have something half-way done when the PW dies.

word on that last part. im 3 for 3 on electric pw`s breaking halfway or less thru a tough job. it feels great winding up the hose and putting the pw back in the box while you still have a dirty car to work on.

just bought the popular `blackmax` honda gcv160 from sam`s club for 329. my `snap-on` electric pw from costco crapped out on the gunside and also wouldnt give constant pressure on its third use, so i returned it.

imported_BobbyG
01-31-2010, 06:20 AM
I bought a TroyBuilt from Lowes 2 years ago and it works great. I think I paid about $400 for it.

It`s the 6HP Honda model and I think it gets up to 2800psi. I added a valve assembly on the high pressure side so I can add detergents and the like at higher pressures.