PDA

View Full Version : We need a rotary tutorial

GregCavi
05-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Hello everyone. I think it would be beneficial to the city if we coudl get a sticky on the rotary in the polishers forum. I am very interested in trying my hand at a rotary. I can only find little tips and fragments of information. Any help?

Thanks

Greg

travisdecpn
05-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I don`t know if you`ve ever watched the Meguiar`s video, but they did a nice job of touching on the basics of defect removal with a rotary. While it`s true that there is a lot more to be taught than what was seen in that video, it`s a good place to start. One of the best ways of learning is locating some test panels and just practicing. As is the case with many other things, practice is key. The more you practice, the better you will get and the better you will know the limits of the machine. I agree with you though, a place where we can come together as a community and shoot a couple of tips to others would be an awesome feature.

dpeezy415
05-22-2005, 07:18 AM
Yup, that Megs Video was my main educational tool. But it can`t substitute for experience. I used the rotary to polish after wetsanding, and I can see how it takes A LOT of practice to get it right. There is an ART to minimizing holograms and increasing gloss. Anyone can buff hoods and fenders. It`s the trickier parts that you`ll just have to adjust too.

GregCavi, you should plan on getting one, they are AWESOME. You`ll cut a bunch of time off your polishing step. At low speeds they can be on the same level as the PC.

And products have more effectiveness. I got some swirling out with #9 and a Propel Green Pad that DACP and a cut pad couldn`t get with the PC on 6!!!

GregCavi
05-22-2005, 02:26 PM
I couldnt find the megs video? Anyone have a link?

Greg

scrub
05-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Give this a try... How to Remove Paint Defects (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=31)

Good luck.

Wet&Deep
05-22-2005, 04:35 PM
I never thought I would say these words, but thanks scrub. I have been thinking on getting a rotary. Has anyone tried that optimum polish, sounds like good stuff. Does it work good with a PC anybody know? Or will a rotary make easy work of swirls?

MS22
05-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Greg, go over to Autopia once it is back up and working and search on rotary usage. There is a particular thread that is over a year old and something like 14 pages that includes everyones tips and tricks to using a rotary. There are some really useful things to read in that particular thread. I`ll put a link in here once Autopia is back up.

GregCavi
05-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Great! Thanks everyone.

Greg