PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW 849 Rotary Buffer

Mikeyzr
05-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Here is my quick write up on this awesome rotary.

I ordered my DeWalt from eBay, brand new. It came with the rotary buffer, rubber backing plate, wrench, DeWalt canvas bag and some cheap-o cutting cream. I got the whole setup for $169.95 which is a fantastic price!

The machine represents the DeWalt name proudly. It has that vibrant bright yellow color and feels and looks very sturdy. At just over 8 punds, it has a powerfull 8 amp motor that is surprisingly quiet. It sports a RPM wheel that is very easy to control near the trigger on top of the unit. The trigger has a very smooth pull and can also be locked on. It has a RPM range from 1,000-3,000. It is also variable speed which is very nice when cutting at higher speeds. This can greatly reduce the ever so fun "sling". The power cord is a two pronged cord, which means it is not grounded. I can`t figure this one out, but I have not had any problems with the unit because of this. I have mine plugged into a power strip surge protector, just to be safe. Another feature I like about this unit is the spindle lock. You simply push this pin in and it locks the spindle in place which makes changing backing plates a snap! It also comes with the standard right or left handed handle.

I have been nothing but pleased with this buffer. I`ve found that I don`t even use the side handle. It is very comfortable to grip the metal front of the unit and I feel that I have more control over it. I have used it to buff 3 cars, back to back, about 8 hours of close to non-stop use. She hardly broke a sweat! This polisher is much quieter than a Makita I used a few years ago...it is always nice to be able to hear the radio in the shop when polishing!

To all of you PC users...Don`t be shy to step up to a rotary. I started with a rotary about 6 years ago, then took about 4 off and I just got back into it here not so long ago. I learned on a rotary and anyone can use them. Once you get the tehnique down by practicing on the neighbors car, :) You can try your hand at it on your own rig. It is amazing what a rotary machine can do and this DeWalt is an awesome machine to use. I use the advanced pad kit from Proper Auto Care with the LC pads. I can`t say enough good things about this unit. Here is a pic of the beauty below.

Any other 849 users can chime in, I`d love to hear what you think.

Happy Buffing! Mike

probegt
05-21-2005, 10:39 PM
You are very correct. It is a very good buffer. Plenty of power and to me it is well balanced. I just wish they had a different handle for it, somewhat like the Makita. I have had one of mine for 2 years and still running like brand new.

MS22
05-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Nice write-up on the DeWalt! I find that the DW849 does have alot of features that I like and does run very smoothly over long periods of time. Like you mentioned I was also very disappointed that a $200 tool came did not come with a grounded 3 prong plug and although this has not cause me any problems it is still a feature I like to see, especially at the price. I also think you are right about the noise level, it is defintely quieter than my old Makita 9227. I am glad to see someone else is using the DeWalt, on here and over at Autopia the Makita pretty much dominates the boards.

dpeezy415
05-22-2005, 07:21 AM
I`m a newbie 849 user and love it. I found that using it without the handle gives me more control. I ALMOST sold my PC after testing the abilities of the 849, but it`s nice to have both!!!

Phils Auto
08-08-2005, 08:12 AM
I also love the Dewalt 849. Works graet on single stage paints, I wonder if Dewalt will ever make a cordless version, that would be very convienient.

TrueDetailer
08-08-2005, 08:37 AM
I`m a user of it... I`ve had mine for awile. I paid a little over 200 but i also had a 2 year warenty that i never used. I`ve used the exact buffer when i worked at a ford dealership and they were used 12 hours a day and 8 hours on saturday. We never had a problem with any of them. We did send them in every year though to be serviced i guess you can call it. make sure everything is working properly and all that good stuff.

Oh yeah great write up on it. I was going to do one similar but no need for it now.

mgm2003
08-08-2005, 11:46 AM
You are very correct. It is a very good buffer. Plenty of power and to me it is well balanced. I just wish they had a different handle for it, somewhat like the Makita. I have had one of mine for 2 years and still running like brand new.Ditto on the handle. An overhead would reduce fatigue. It`s been a very reliable machine, that`s for sure. If you`re a part time detailer, this machine would probably last a lifetime.

I find it a little on the heavy side, but I`ve been happy with it overall.

Bill D
08-08-2005, 11:49 AM
I use mine without the handle. I do the same with my PC. I guess I`m used to it now. I`m not so sure I would like the handle the Makita has.

twogees
08-08-2005, 12:03 PM
glad to see some fellow 849 users out there....i aswell use the dewalt...i thought i was the only one... everyone i hear has a pc or a makita...ive been considering on getting a pc only for jobs i wouldnt need the dewalt for ...i like the 849 alot i actually have a couple of them...i havent had a problem as far as the plug goes..been very reliable...have thought maybe if it had a handle like a makita mite help on fatigue for long polishing or compounding jobs (on aircraft).....other then that its been 100% effective i wouldnt switch to any other rotary :headbang

TrueDetailer
08-08-2005, 09:27 PM
What is so special about this makita handle? Is it jewel encrusted lol. If your getting fatigued from using the handle you need to work out or something. Some days at the old dealership all i would do is buff 8 hours of buffing and it didn`t phase me? oh well, can someone show me a photo of this makita handle..

pappy
08-08-2005, 10:01 PM
i use this buffing boats. havnt used it on cars. but on boats its nice because its so smooth. and we have used it constantly for 2 years and besides the wax dried to it. it works like new.

tubafeak
08-09-2005, 10:59 AM
The bale handle on the Makita is great. It goes about 3 inches out and then loops over the top of the machine. I personally like this handle as I like having my hand perpendicular to the surface, I find it`s easier to control pad flattness and positioning.

twogees
08-12-2005, 06:21 PM
What is so special about this makita handle? Is it jewel encrusted lol. If your getting fatigued from using the handle you need to work out or something. Some days at the old dealership all i would do is buff 8 hours of buffing and it didn`t phase me? oh well, can someone show me a photo of this makita handle..

to start off sorry to hear about the tempory retirement that must be hell to deal with

its funny that u say that ...cause i actually do need to work out...hahaha...

no seriously have u ever tried to compound the under side of a wing of an airplane with a wing span of 75 feet...it can be a bit tiring holding that thing upside down ovr my head for hours on end...or when polishing the aluminum leading edge of an aircraft wing that wraps around the front about 3-6 inches to the underside of the wing...it does get tiring ...if im doing a boat or car im fine but on air craft it sucks thats y cars can be so much easier cause u never have to compound the undercarriage!!

i agree with tubafeak on the handle ..like how some people dont use the handle at all ...its better to have ur hand in the middle ...maybe i can rig somthing up....