PDA

View Full Version : How hard is the paint? Please read.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Let me start off by saying that I had no clue where to post this, so if someone has a suggestion for a better forum section, please post it and a mod can move it.

Now... I`ve been thinking a lot about this lately, and thought it might be helpful if it was posted on here... I haven`t seen a thread/post like this, so if there`s one, please link me to it and close this thread.

So...I think it would be very helpful for autopians to come up with a paint hardness scale for different types of vehicles, make and model. While I don`t think the scale should be huge and confusing, like 1-20, I want to stay away from "hard, medium, soft" as well.

So, I propose that every somewhat experienced autopian post here the make/model of the car they have detailed, and post a number relating to the paint hardness on that car.

The scale will be 1-5. The scale would be followed with a short list of a pad/polish combo used to remove the biggest defects.

This picture will be a reference point, so you can say whether the defects you removed were worse than this, better, or equal. Lastly, don`t focus on scratch removal, as that takes different sized pads, etc. into consideration... let`s simply focus on removing these swirls....

http://e-owned.com/albums/userpics/10041/Ericbefore_%282%29.JPG

Just as an example, from my personal experience, after doing 2 black Audis A6 and A4, and 3 black Nissans, 2 altimas and 1 maxima, in very similar condition to the above photo... I would say that Nissan would be at 1, since it`s been the softest paint and easiest to correct so far for me, and audi by far 5, closely followed by BMW at 4.889 :lol

I`m posting this because I think it will help many learn from the professionals/more experienced detailers out there how to save time by using the correct products for certain types of vehicles. Feel free to give some 3.5s or 4.5s, but generally try to stick to whole #s or at least .5s.

So to start off the thread

Nissan maxima & altima- 1 (Meg`s #80/white 6.5" LC pad on rotary)

Audi a4 and a6- 5 (Meg`s #4 with yellow 6.5" LC pad on rotary, 2 times some areas)

i`ll add more later if there`s any interested in the thread...

NEXT...

SVR
05-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Awesome idea mate, I was thinking of doing that a year ago but never went ahead with it.

imported_DieselMDX
05-10-2007, 04:04 AM
Great idea but make sure you note for PC or rotary

SpoiledMan
05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
It would be nice if it were that simple but it`s not. Within the same year, make, color and model you will find hardness all over the place. Some of the jet black Bimmers are really soft and some hard(I`ve seen the super soft ones and others have seen hard and soft). Some jet black Lexus/Toyota cars can`t even make up their mind(same color code) if they`re going to be SS or BC even in the same model and year.

Technique would also play a huge role in this as well. Take a read a notice how some have superb results with a product and others have dismal results. Something that is a "10" on the scale to a newer detailer may seem easily corrected and normal "5" to an experienced detailer.

Oh yeah. Whatever it is you`re working on may have been repainted with something that`s a 1, 2, 3, 4......10.

coupe
05-10-2007, 08:18 AM
It would be nice if it were that simple but it`s not. Within the same year, make, color and model you will find hardness all over the place. Some of the jet black Bimmers are really soft and some hard(I`ve seen the super soft ones and others have seen hard and soft). Some jet black Lexus/Toyota cars can`t even make up their mind(same color code) if they`re going to be SS or BC even in the same model and year.

Technique would also play a huge role in this as well. Take a read a notice how some have superb results with a product and others have dismal results. Something that is a "10" on the scale to a newer detailer may seem easily corrected and normal "5" to an experienced detailer.

Oh yeah. Whatever it is you`re working on may have been repainted with something that`s a 1, 2, 3, 4......10.

Exactly why a database like this wont work

RyanDe680
05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Lexus is a good example of why this is complicated. They recently ditched the single stage paint and have clearcoat/paint finishes now.

Perfect example: Co-worker`s 2004 ES = single stage, my new Lexus = Clearcoat separate from paint.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-10-2007, 09:47 AM

I understand completely, and never wanted to make it a solid database. I just wanted to see a general opinion on different makes/models. I`ve never personally encountered the different levels within the same make/model, but have heard of many who have. Either way, it would be nice to know what those cars were, etc...

Again, I agree that it won`t work as a strict guide, just a simple thread for people to post their past experiences.

Accumulator
05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah, there *are* some really significant (and inexplicable) variances, but some general observations might still be useful.

My (built-in-Japan) Mazda MPV is a 3. Not so soft that you have to do anything special, not so hard that the PC isn`t enough.

My WRX was around 3 also.

My `00 Blazer is a 4.

The ss lacquer on the `85 Jag is a 1.5. Soft, but not so much so that it`s a PIA to finish like some paints I read about.