PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Glass Question

RAG
05-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I`m wondering how many of you have used a wax called "Liquid Glass." I have a customer who wants me to use it (no problem doing that) because he knows someone who swears by it - apparently it`s deeper and wetter looking that anything else. Just wanted your feedback. Personally I told him I gave up on the "magic" waxes that were better than everthing else a long time ago, as I never found the claims to be substantiated with noticable results.

Also, I told him that the most important elements of the detail (especially on a black car) is the clay and buff process, and not the final wax (though I personally wouldn`t want to skip any of the three). I mention this because his original instructions to me were to use their "cleaner" product and then 2 coats of wax.

I told him I would post this question here and for him to check this thread for the responses, so please do weigh in.

RAG
05-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I`m going to use it, but my biggest concern is that it would stain rubber and plastic like most over the counter waxes.

firegate
05-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Liquid Glass is waaaaaay old, probably been around for a few decades. It doesn`t look bad exactly - very sterile shiny look, kind of similar to SG. Not that much more durable than your average carnauba. I wouldn`t bother with it personally, but if your customer insists, go for it.

wannafbody
05-09-2007, 12:30 PM
it`s been reformulated. It probably is one of the better OTC offereings.

AutoCadillac
05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I used it for the last few years and just recently left it. It doesn`t protect as long as it use to . It`s still good on the windshield however. CS looks wetter and deeper IMO.

The LG pre-wax cleaner is fair. I still have some and use it very lightly after claying.

Crusader101
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I certainly recall seeing it on the shelves back in the `60s.

FWIW, a friend of mine uses it on his black Mercury Marauder. It looks really nice but it was applied initially when the car was brand new and the car is a total garage queen.

Lil Dog
05-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I`ll admit I use LG... and I`ve used it for a while. (I agree, the `new` stuff doesn`t seem to last as long as the `old` stuff did.)

I apply several coats and cover it with a layer of wax, (Collinite in the fall, and Mothers in the spring and summer).

I recently convinced my brother to try it, and now I can`t get him to put a top coat of wax over it...

Lil Dog in a big pound...

slippy
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
It is not a bad product,although as others have said, it is not quite the same as it used to be.One of the very first acrylic sealants available,current formula is much thinner and less durable than before.

RAG
05-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks yall. After reading the above responses, the aforementioned customer is on the brink.

imported_rydawg
05-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I have used it before and it is ok. I remember that awful minty smell. Much better stuff out there and the protection is just ok and nothing special. I know it has been out for a very long long time. Does stain some trim. Personally I would pass...

AutoCadillac
05-10-2007, 07:32 AM
For years the instructions for LG use was to apply when temperature was between 50 and 90. Recently the website`s instructions changed lowering the high to 80. Another LG user told me to watch for the cans of LG that still had the 50-90 range to get the better old stuff. I never saw a can that had the 50-80 range. The 80 max would severely limit the times I could use it.

Grimm
05-10-2007, 08:55 AM
When I hear Liquid Glass I have to laugh. On one of the car forums I frequent, I think 90% of the active members either use Gold Class or Liquid Glass. A few of the Liquid Glass guys are like total fanatics. One guy always has to bring up another thread where someone compared the durability of LG with GC wax like it`s "The Battle of the Best Waxes" or something. I used to use Gold Class, so now I laugh because I know there is so much better products available.

joshtpa
05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Both are decent products, and sure there is stuff out there that we consider better...But in the end, it is almost all subjective.

Crusader101
05-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Thats just it, in its day, Liquid Glass was at the top of its class. But that time period was the era of lacquers, enamels, single stage paint. With all the advanced products nowadays, it would be almost foolish not to take advantage of polishes/protectants designed for modern finishes.

captkirk2
05-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Its still very good stuff. Easy to use, slick and lasts a long time.