PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Starter Package (please read)

Pages : [1] 2

funfactor89
05-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions in the previous thread that i made. I think if found a package that fits my budget and seems like good products. Could you guys please review this and offer any suggestions or tips that you might see that could help me out. I am new to the whole detailing scene and have never used a pc before.

Thanks

PC 7424 from coastal tools $109.00 + $8.50 shipping = $117.50

Includes wrench and 5" and 6" counterweights

autogeek order

3.5" Backing Plate $11.99

5" Backing Plate $16.99

(2) 4" Lake Country Orange Pad $9.99

(2) 4" Lake Country White Pad $9.99

(2) 5.5" Lake Country Orange $14.99

(2) 5.5" Lake Country White $14.99

(2) 6.5" CCS Gray Pads $18.99 Total = $164.89 with shipping

(1) Poorboys Natty`s Blue $15.99

(1) Optimum Compound $16.99

(1) Optimum Polish $16.99

So is this a good package for $282.39? Do i need anything else to make these products work. The ccs pads are in there because i don`t see any stock for the 5.5" foam pads. Do i need to get a different counterweight for the 4" pads?

joshtpa
05-09-2007, 07:37 AM
This would be a great start I believe. You might want to check around for some other things. For instance, I believe that properautocare has a lot of sets that include the machine and you might get a discount with some stuff.

funfactor89
05-09-2007, 08:19 AM
thanks for your suggestions but what other things should i be looking for? Sorry i don`t know much about this but i want to learn. Are 2 of each pad enough to do a vehicle?

tom p.
05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Porter Cable Starter Package

Knowing what I know today, I`d never load up on so many components. I`ve recommended to folks getting started with the PC to get the machine and a modest $30 pad bundle and see what they like. These folks I am thinking of are still using this modest line-up several years later - - and with much success.

Unless you`re working at a professional level and doing several cars per day, I doubt you`ll ever use all the pieces you`ve listed. Have a look at the "Trading Post" section here - - you`ll see many wide-eyed newbies selling unused components they purchased at the outset. Again, I would recommend gaining a little experience and figure out what works for you prior to laying down a bunch of $$$.

YMMV

crew219
05-09-2007, 08:55 AM
I would highly suggest looking at the Danase 5" LC CCS pads instead of buying both 4, 5.5 and 6.5" pads. The package price for the 5" CCS pads is great, not to mention he offers a forum discount as well.

He also sells optimum and Natty`s blue so it`d be a lot easier to source it all from one place.

Dave

funfactor89
05-09-2007, 09:03 AM
ok if i were to get my product from danase is 1 pad of each going to be enough to do a whole car? Are optimum polishes good for a beginner or should i get poorboy ssr 1 and 2.5? What color pads should i get if i go that route?

timid1
05-09-2007, 09:05 AM
autogeek order

I`d stay away from Autogeek. Here`s why: they charge an arm and a leg for shipping and handling (it`s based on the dollar amount that you spend) AND they have a "one to two day" processing period meaning that you need to add two days to your order (it won`t ship until three days AFTER you`ve ordered it).

I know this because I just bought some stuff from them. Instead of it shipping right away like a lot of other retailers, they didn`t actually ship my stuff until three days after I ordered. Yes, they let everyone know that there`s a one to two day processing period, but I thought surely a simple order of wheel polish, powerballs, and soap wouldn`t take three days JUST TO SHIP.

So.... please don`t use Autogeek.

ZoranC
05-09-2007, 09:12 AM
First, Changeling is selling his (I think brand new) PC in private sales forum for $115 plus shipping and that includes backing plate. Considering he hasn`t sold it for a while that might be little bit negotiable.

Second, on my cars (your situation might be different and this is not general rule) 4" pads on PC are usually for spot repair. On my cars once spot is corrected I use "regular" sized pads for fine polishing. Therefore, I don`t have use for 4" white pads on PC for now. So if you want to save some money and your car doesn`t require it you might want to skip 4" white pads.

Third, I have 5.5" pads from AG. I like them but I got them at much lower price than that. At $7.50 for one I wouldn`t get them, I would get 5.25" CCS ones from Danase. He has MYO 6-pack kit for $40 which, after Autopia discount, is $6 each.

funfactor89
05-09-2007, 09:21 AM
thanks for the tip any other suggestions for the questions i asked? I think i like danase site better than autogeek thanks for helping me find that. But what pads should i get and what color. I like the idea of the 5" ccs pads now.

BlackElantraGT
05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I`d stay away from Autogeek. Here`s why: they charge an arm and a leg for shipping and handling (it`s based on the dollar amount that you spend) AND they have a "one to two day" processing period meaning that you need to add two days to your order (it won`t ship until three days AFTER you`ve ordered it).

I know this because I just bought some stuff from them. Instead of it shipping right away like a lot of other retailers, they didn`t actually ship my stuff until three days after I ordered. Yes, they let everyone know that there`s a one to two day processing period, but I thought surely a simple order of wheel polish, powerballs, and soap wouldn`t take three days JUST TO SHIP.

Shipping at most of these car care sites cost an arm and a leg. At least with AutoGeek, if you spend $75 or more, you can use the "AGO" coupon code for free shipping. Even if their prices might be slightly higher than another retailer, the free shipping almost always makes them the cheapest in the end. $75 is a very reasonable amount to spend to get free shipping. My last order with AutoGeek was $80.XX and was a heavy 26 lbs. To get free shipping also? That just makes the deal even sweeter! You know how much it costs to ship a 26 lb package from CA to NY? $30.98 via Parcel Post!

With AutoDetailingSolutions, I always had to buy more than $100 worth of product just to take advantage of a $16.95 flat rate (after the $100). With Danase, you have to spend $195 to get free shipping.

As far as the waiting period goes for shipment, I usually order in the middle of the night, and by the end of the day they will have shipped my order (assuming they have all my products in stock.) The only times I`ve had problems with my orders was when something wasn`t in stock (like the CCS pads when they first came out after Xmas), but they went out of their way to make up for it by sending free replacement pads until more of the CCS pads came in. I`ve had a couple problems with my orders from them before, but each time they always went above and beyond to resolve it.

My main problem with AutoGeek is that I`m in California and they`re in FL, so shipping takes a full 5 business days to get here. But beggars can`t be choosers. I don`t mind waiting when shipping is on the house. They`ve explained in the past that they`re having growing problems, even after moving into a bigger warehouse. I wouldn`t mind if they opened a 2nd warehouse on the West Coast.

They get a :bigups:xyxthumbs in my book

joshtpa
05-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Do not listen to this post. Hundreds of people at these boards have used AG with no complaints whatsoever. They are one of the biggest and best. Autopians have found 5-6 very good online sites and this is one of them.

funfactor89
05-09-2007, 10:33 AM
ok and how is danase as a site?

crew219
05-09-2007, 10:37 AM
thanks for the tip any other suggestions for the questions i asked? I think i like danase site better than autogeek thanks for helping me find that. But what pads should i get and what color. I like the idea of the 5" ccs pads now.

I would purchase two each of the danase pads. Depending on what vehicle you`re doing this on, I`d either get the Orange, Green, White or Orange White Grey. 2x of each will fill up their 6 pack deal nicely. I would use the first combo for harder paints, and the 2nd for softer paints.

EDIT: I`d also look into purchasing a claybar while you`re at it. The Danase fine, clearkote clay, or sonus ultra fine clay are all good choices. I generally just use a diluted carwash solution to clay with.

Dave

ZoranC
05-09-2007, 10:52 AM

Please note that nothing I said should be taken against AG. Fact that I advised against their 5.5" pads was solely based on price you would be currently paying. Otherwise I like them.

Furthermore let`s not take their shipping against them, they do offer free shipping under certain conditions, and those conditions are very easy to meet. Danase also offers free shipping under certain conditions.

Also please notice both Danase and AG are great to work with and have excellent customer service. I had nothing but great experience with both so far.

That being said, which pads you need depends on condition of your car. 90% of the people 90% of the time need orange, green, and white, so it is very likely you will too. Two of each and you are set there with one MYO 6-pack. Do you need yellow? Only if your car calls for it. Do you need gray? Gray is used for glazes or finessing polishes so only if you are striving for that extra last "percents". If you decide you do want gray question is do you still want gray in 5.25" CCS or 6.5" CCS would be better? I don`t know as I haven`t used either yet.

funfactor89
05-09-2007, 11:42 AM
yes i have a clay bar kit already. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 that is black. Are the pads suggested above good for dodge paint? (orange, green, white). Also i have Klasse AIO and SG that i will be using. Then i will top however many coats of SG i decide to put on with some type of wax.