PDA

View Full Version : Wearing down your clear coat over time? A discussion.

Pages : [1] 2

Johnnie27
05-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I`m still somewhat new to detailing and I`ve been thinking...With all the claying, polishing, waxing, etc., are we actually wearing down the clear coat? This may be a dumb question but I think it warrants conversation. I`ve searched around and read many threads. I just hope you pros can shed some light on this.

Here are my thoughts:

If you choose not to protect your vehicles paint by polishing and waxing a few times a year, eventually the elements will ruin the paint. I think we all know that. However, by polishing and waxing are we thinning the clear coat each time? Let`s say I detail for car 3 times this year and decided to never polish or wax it again. Will the elements ruin my pain faster since it`s possible that I`ve worn down the clear coat?

What I`m thinking is that once you start polishing and waxing your cars, it`s important that you continue to do it to make sure you keep a good layer of protection because you`re thinning the clear coat each time.

What are your thoughts?

J

wannafbody
05-08-2007, 10:13 PM
using abrasive polishes and compounds by machine can wear down a slight layer of clearcoat. If you use a compound, cutting pad and rotary you can see paint being removed. Use finishing polishes and mild pads and you`ll be good for 10 years or so.

BigJimZ28
05-08-2007, 10:16 PM
you are talking like polishing & waxing one one in the same

I polish about one time per year plus touch up spots as needed

but I wax and protect a lot always adding more wax or glaze or a spray this or that!

tstead
05-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I`ve been a Zaino fan but am slowly converting back to carnauba simply because I can apply a glze and fill the minor spiderwebbing instead of polishing them out. My DD sees a LOT of highway miles and the dirt & debris kicked up does a number on my car - it`s everything I can do just to keep up.

clnfrk
05-08-2007, 11:14 PM
It all depends on how aggressive and how often you go about polishing. You should never have to go very aggressive with polishes if you exercise proper car care techniques from the very start, or after that 1st initial detail to get the finish where it needs to be. Any polishing steps from that period on should be mainly upkeep where extremely minute levels of clear are removed. Claying and waxing are not designed to remove clearcoat, so that shouldn`t be an issue. Just make sure you are performing these steps properly to eliminate the need for more corrective polishing.

Johnnie27
05-08-2007, 11:16 PM
you are talking like polishing & waxing one one in the same

I polish about one time per year plus touch up spots as needed

but I wax and protect a lot always adding more wax or glaze or a spray this or that!

I think most guys polish and wax a few times per year, not just wax. I know wax probably won`t wear down your clear coat but just the overall rubbing combined with polishing seems that eventually over time will wear down your clear coat.

J

Hey, Moe!
05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
I can`t see where mild polishing, when needed, would significantly reduce the clearcoat. In the lifetime of an average car, I don`t see an issue.

Of course, if you aren`t carefully washing and drying, then all bets are off. I have learned that that step is so important. Those who choose to have a quality detailer work on their vehicle would be wise to at least wash and dry properly. The marring you save from happening is the marring you don`t have to polish later.

Or, if you have an older vehicle/one not bought new/show car, then you have different parameters.

Accumulator is a very good authority on this subject. Since I haven`t heard from him in a while, perhaps he is away on a well-deserved vacation. He is the man on this issue--I`m a rookie.

todd@bsaw
05-09-2007, 02:18 AM
For fun I decided to think about this in a different manner...

Typically you can safely high-speed with compound 3 times (some say 2) in the lifetime of car and not work through the clear. For any of those that have ever done this process with a rotary, just imagine how long it would take you to get to the same point using only mild pads and polish.

With what I can do with an aggressive pad/compound combo in 5 minutes would probably take me close to the whole day with a mild pad/polish combo (but I`d honestly never test these results).

Polishing once a year is good enough for most people that properly care for their paint so I would never worry about `polishing` through your paint over time.

Macruz19
05-09-2007, 06:37 AM
But really, how many times can you really polish using abrasives? Once or twice a year?

imported_Picus
05-09-2007, 06:39 AM
When I had my G35 I polished it 7 times in the 3 years I had it. The first was a major compounding, everything after was a light polish. After 7 times in 3 years I`d removed an almost imperceptible amount of clear. My PTG only picked up a tangible loss on the hood, which I`d wetsanded.

monkeymajik
05-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Would it be possible to wear through clear polishing by hand, using a regular compound?

GTFreddy
05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Would it be possible to wear through clear polishing by hand, using a regular compound?

You definately could if the compound is abrasive enough. On another note, we obviously do wear down the clear coat over time, but that is what we do to remove the swirls by levelling the surface. You shouldn`t wear through clear coat with proper techiniques and materials.

kastanaras
05-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Well you got to remember over time with no wax you cc is going to fail anyway so it is vital you wax as often as possible.

I would say it`s safe to polish with a mild polish 1-2 times a year no problems.

Got to remember all polishes are different, some a mild and some are very aggressive.

steck
05-09-2007, 09:20 AM
i dont know guys,

i use a rotary and PC, and never, never, have I even come close to remove even the orange peel (the top uneven layer of the clear coat) even with grade 1500 compounds.

BUT of course in the wrong hands, a rotary will go thru the clear (obviously).

i dont think you have anything to worry about using a PC !

IF the OP is still present, than I know where I am at with the clear coat and the polishing !

Johnnie27
05-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I guess there is really nothing to worry about as long as you take it easy and take proper care of your vehicle.

J