PDA

View Full Version : Why don`t manufacturers paint the insides of wheels black?

bobbi_dooley
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
So i was cleaning my car tonight and pulled out my trusty Big Lots Mr. Clean wheel cleaner tool. Kinda looks like a wool carrot on a rubber stick.

I go to thinking, clean wheels look great and generally the insides are in a shadow, therefore the grayish, dark look kinda blends in. However in certain light, a grimy wheel interior looks like poo.

I think I spend 15 to 25 min each wash trying to get all the brake dust off the insides of my rims.

Clean with rag, clean with brush, move car forward 5 feet so that I can get behind the calipers. Rinse, let gray crap from rotors drain, wipe off, AIO, a little wax, you get the picture.

SOLUTION: paint the insides of the wheels black. Problem solved. When I start making my own cars I promise there will be no orange peel on the paint. At least 10mils of clear coat, and black interior rims. You would think that this would be an easy fix.

Bobbi

barrettward
05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
How hard would it be to do it yourself? Obviously one would need a a high quality paint and good prep.

todd@bsaw
05-09-2007, 02:22 AM
I have a bud with aftermarket wheels on his car that he had painted black on the inside before they were mountedfor this exact reason.

It actually looks very sharp!

mika-cars
05-09-2007, 02:48 AM
The S8 is a new addition to Audi`s S lineup for 2007.

The S8 boasts a 435 hp V10 engine, Quattro all-wheel-drive,

and a level of technical sophistication that few cars achieve.

read more......

audi-s8 (http://audi-s8.dkblog.org)

audi s8,audi picture s8 (http://audi-s8.dkblog.org)

Prometheus
05-09-2007, 08:24 AM
My rims came with the inside painted black, but they still are a pain to keep clean sometimes.

SpoiledMan
05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Brake dust is brown and will show up just as well on a black painted surface. Ever seen a black wheel that was dirty?

BobD
05-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Brake dust is brown and will show up just as well on a black painted surface. Ever seen a black wheel that was dirty?

Agreed. The color will not keep you from having to clean them. ;)

nwf_snake
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
The factory rims on my Tundra were painted WHITE on the inside! I hit them with some Zaino on the inside every six months whenever I rotate the tires. The brake dust comes off easily with some cleaner and a brush.

joshtpa
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
It think they dont because it is just an extra step that they can not afford to pay for.

imported_hooked
05-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Anyone with a black car knows how hard it is to keep it looking clean! This would apply to the inside of the rims too, wouldn`t it? The dark gray probably masks dirt better.

kastanaras
05-09-2007, 09:22 AM

Yeah his right.

Just look at a completely dirty silver rim on inside, it`s coverd in so much brake dust where you can`t even see any silver.

You think this would change if it was black coverd in full brake dust.

allspringinfo
05-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Spam and spammer removed. -- Tort