PDA

View Full Version : Products that let paint off gas?

Saleenfan
05-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Im looking to have my rear bumper replaced (make sure you pull the car in all the way before closing the garage door :hairpull :sadpace: ) plus im getting new exhuast and i want to replace/repaint mine. Well my question is what products will protect the paint and still let the paint off gas?

BMW335i
05-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Im looking to have my rear bumper replaced (make sure you pull the car in all the way before closing the garage door :hairpull :sadpace: ) plus im getting new exhuast and i want to replace/repaint mine. Well my question is what products will protect the paint and still let the paint off gas?

I`m in a similiar situation. I am not applying anything, just washing it.

deathlok
05-08-2007, 05:15 PM
most glazes are ok but offer very little protection.

coupe
05-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Just waite it out

I usually just clay (right when i get it back), polish out any imperfections and then just waite 120 days at minimum.

GlossyTundra
05-08-2007, 06:29 PM
DC 2 or anything like #5/7/80 will work. I am just going to polish my new paint when it gets back and apply Adams Spray Glaze after every wash. It says it`s new paint safe.

BlueLibby04
05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
x2 to what everyone has said. A good polish will help but wears off quickly.

BMW335i
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I thought you weren`t supposed to polish fresh paint right when you get it back...or was that wax..

What polishes are fresh paint safe?

velobard
05-09-2007, 07:53 AM
FK1 claims that 2180 allows outgassing and is safe to apply within a few days of painting. It`s also a reasonably durable sealant. I`m not here to say everyone with fresh paint should rush out and slap this on their car, but I did apply it about 3 weeks after my car was painted with Sikkens last winter. I was in a situation where I had fresh paint and knew in a couple of days a major winter storm was arriving, meaning my car would be exposed to a lot of salt on the roads, etc. I opted for the protection and applied 3x 2180. A couple weeks ago when I was polishing my car with my Metabo and a LC orange pad and IP and had to really work at it to achieve a decent level of correction on fairly minor marring. I`m satisfied my paint acheieved sufficient hardness.

That said, YMMV. I`m not about to claim this is safe for anyone else, just passing along my personal experience. When people ask me what`s safe for fresh repaints, I still stick with the suggestion for #5 glaze and no wax for 3 months.

spotter
05-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Optimum Polish and Car Wax claim to be body shop safe.

DM101
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Agree Meguiars #5 New Car Glaze. A pure polish made for your application.

GlossyTundra
05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
I talked to Sal and he said you could apply Z-2 Z-5 or Z-8 one week after painting. I will still stick with a glaze for at least the first month, then maybe add some zaino.

tom p.
05-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Glaze...3M`s Hand Glaze would be a simple solution. Re-apply as necessary.