PDA

View Full Version : 3 week old Metallic Black Audi - Help Pls?

richjohnhughes
05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi Guys,

firstly sorry to be a bit of a Newb but just after some of your thoughts please.

I`m looking for a sensible routine to maintain the finish on my car. deeper/wetter the better

New Audi - Metallic Black - 25,000 miles per year. left outside. (starting to regret the choice of colour already)

I wash the car by hand once a week and i`m happy to wax etc about once a month or so.

I have used Autoglym products before and found that they are ok (and easily available in the UK) - but if there are better products - i`m up for trying them.

Was thinking about SRP followed by EGP followed by P21S Wax.

Do i need to use SRP as this is a new car or can i go stright to EGP or would i be better off using some sort of pure paint cleaner first?

After the wax is on and i rewax say a month latter - do i have to prep the surface again, or can i just wash and wax?

questions questions questions - sorry, but so much info on here not sure which way to go.

many thanks:brit

Accumulator
05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Was thinking about SRP followed by EGP followed by P21S Wax...

I`d use something more durable myself. If you can`t get Collinite over there across the Pond, then maybe Blitz by One Grand (but keep it off black plastic trim).

Do i need to use SRP as this is a new car or can i go stright to EGP or would i be better off using some sort of pure paint cleaner first?

I`d use the SRP (ggod stuff, that). Even though the car`s new you might even need something more abrasive than *that*; I haven`t seen many black cars that didn`t need polishing, even brand new ones in the showroom usually need it.

After the wax is on and i rewax say a month latter - do i have to prep the surface again, or can i just wash and wax?

Depends how clean it gets. I just rewax but I keep my vehciles very clean. You might want to use a very gentle clay before rewaxing (e.g., the green Sonus clay).

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Tim W.
05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey man welcome! I own a uni-black vw gti and have maintained the paint by re-waxing regularly with Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Wax which looks great on black cars. Every couple of months I clay and re-polish using Optimum Polish to get out the minor scratches washing the car leaves behind. Hope all goes well with the car.

-Tim

richjohnhughes
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
thanks for that guys i`ll give it a go and maybe post some pics here after.

i might even give Ultra Deep Shine a go. it seems to get a really bad rep here, but the other UK forums seem to really like it. hopefully the EGP will bond to it ok.

rich