PDA

View Full Version : Magnet removal?

skippy302
05-07-2007, 10:59 PM
I did a few searches and didn`t come up with anything. Can someone give me some pointers on how to remove a support the troops magnet that has "baked on" the tailgate of my truck? I`m at a loss. I still support the troops, :up it`s just that the magnet is faded now.

cjv998
05-08-2007, 12:10 AM
First off, I`m new to the whole detailing scene, so my suggestions are just that...suggestions. It sounds like the adhesive from the sticker has melted , and is now holding the magnet on. My thoughts if you haven`t tried them yet, since it sounds like it won`t just peel off:

1. Try heating it up a bit with a hair dryer (and then try one of the methods below). My only concern here would be if the sticker part peels away and you`re still left with the magnet stuck on there, but that doesn`t seem like it would happen, since I`d think that if the adhesive has loosened up enough for the sticker to come off, that any of it holding the magnet on would have loosened up as well.

2. Plastic razor blades. I haven`t used these before, but they`re supposed to be pretty good at removing bumper stickers and all (dental floss is supposed to work well also, provided you can work it under one of the edges).

Hopefully someone with some more experience will chime in with some tips as well. Until then, I hope that helps.