PDA

View Full Version : I think I want a water filter...

ron231
05-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Hey I was thinking about getting a water filter, one that fits onto a regular garden hose so that I can just let the water dry without getting spots.

DF sells one that they claim allows you to do this, and autogeek sells a more expensive 2 stage one, although they do not say that you can just let the water dry on the car like DF does.

What do you guys think?

clnfrk
05-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I`m not familiar with what DF. I use deionized water tanks and that is the only type of water that I know of (other than distilled water) that provides a true spot free rinse. You will still get water spots if you don`t dry with kit that Autogeek sells. Its a soft water filter system, but if you don`t dry then you will still end up with water spots just like any other soft water setup.

paul34
05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Garden Hose Filters (http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm)

I`m pretty sure AG sells the same exact thing, but at an unnecessarily higher price. But hey, business is business.

I`m also pretty sure you`ll need a second, shorter hose link; a splitter and another hose so that you don`t have to constantly screw on the "other" hose when going back and forth. Oh, and you`ll need some of those salt pellets they use for water softeners.

I think you could probably do it all for under $70. It`s set to be one of my first purchases when I start buying detailing products again! Water spots are seriously the bane of all my detailing efforts. Ugh.

SuperBee364
05-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I`ve had really good results using the Mr. Clean cartridge system.

ron231
05-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I`ve had really good results using the Mr. Clean cartridge system.

Can`t use that with my foam gun...

SuperBee364
05-07-2007, 11:38 PM
True, you do have to disconnect for the final rinse...

I use the pressure sprayer for everything, then disconnect it, snap on the Mr. Clean attachment, use the spot free rinse, and it`s done.

imported_95legend
05-08-2007, 12:27 AM
What`s DF?

NickelPlated.45
05-08-2007, 01:08 AM
I use an inline hose filter because of hard water and it works great. I attached it to my portable garden hose reel using a sheet of wood as a backing plate. Doesn`t reduce water pressure or anything. Pretty cool. If i get a chance, i`ll snap some pics and post them tomorrow so you can see my little setup.

ron231
05-08-2007, 08:08 AM
What`s DF?

DF Concours products (http://www.dftowel.com)

ron231
05-08-2007, 08:09 AM
I use an inline hose filter because of hard water and it works great. I attached it to my portable garden hose reel using a sheet of wood as a backing plate. Doesn`t reduce water pressure or anything. Pretty cool. If i get a chance, i`ll snap some pics and post them tomorrow so you can see my little setup.

Where did you buy it?

imported_95legend
05-08-2007, 12:12 PM
my setup consists of a single sediment filter, a water softener, and finally a de-ionizer. It`s not 100% perfect because you`ll still get some water spot. It might just be that my california water may be too hard. I now wash my car at night and rinse the soap off the car with the water and dry my car with MF towels. That`s the only way I can get 100% spot-free. The sun is too hot in the afternoon to do any washing :(

The DF version is no different than the other. It`s basically a tank with a water softener in it.

NickelPlated.45
05-08-2007, 01:09 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/NickelPlated408/Picture008.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/NickelPlated408/Picture012.jpg

Here`s my little setup. Works perfectly for my needs. I bought the hose filter from autogeek. I remember i did some research and i wouldn`t have saved much if i went to some garden supply place. Plus i needed to buy some stuff from ag anyways. Came with the canister, two different types of filters, a bunch of rejuvenating tablets, a wrench and a leader hose (plus of course the mounting bracket and screws). Anyways this setup definitely helped my with my hard water problem.