PDA

View Full Version : Light scratches did not come out...

bobbyp
05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
I used my new cyclo rotary with the orange pad (most aggressive) and Optimum Poli-Seal (the only polish I have other than AIO). The light scratches did not come out even with pressure and working them several times. These scratches were not deep and passed the fingernail test. What do you recommend as the next step? I wanted to start with lightest polish and move up (as I`ve read over and over on this site).

Thanks!

Oh, the car is an `01 Celica black with a good clearcoat on it. The rest of the car looked great after the polish/seal.

todd@bsaw
05-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Are the scratches you are trying to remove previous to using the cyclo or is it micromarring from using the aggressive pad?

bobbyp
05-07-2007, 07:54 PM
The scratches were on the car before I got to polishing. I noticed them after washing but before claying. They stood out more than the light scratches you would see after using the "brushes" at self-serve car washes (because they were random and far apart) and on the left rear quarter panel only. The polish also didn`t get out some etched stains (looked like dried bird poop) but I`ll try another type of cleaner on those. Thanks.

todd@bsaw
05-07-2007, 08:39 PM
You`d probably have to use something more aggressive than poly-seal.

Also, I wouldn`t use poly-seal with those orange pads.

bobbyp
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Yea, that`s what I was asking. I`m going to move up to Optimum hyper or their compound. I`ll also stick to the lighter pads when using poly-seal. Thanks for the tip.

mbkintner
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Jumping from Opti-Seal to a compound, especially hyper compound, is a pretty aggressive move. Why not try Optimum Polish first?

Mike

Imatk
05-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah I would go with Optimum Polish first and an orange light cut pad.

If that doesn`t do the trick then step up to the Compound.

Accumulator
05-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah I would go with Optimum Polish first and an orange light cut pad.

If that doesn`t do the trick then step up to the Compound.

And plan on following up the OP/orange with something milder on the green pads (you might even need *milder* pads than the green depending on how soft your clear is).

Darren F
05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
why wouldnt you use an orange pad with the poli seal?

Anthony O.
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I`ve never polished Celica paint before so I can`t comment on what`s best but using PS with orange pads is no problem and should finish down very nice.....the problem here is that PS most likely doesn`t have enough bite to level down the scratches so try the Polish with orange pads, work it slowly over the problem areas and check your work.

If that doesn`t work then go up to the Hyper and then work your way back down from Hyper to Polish to PoliSeal.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

bobbyp
05-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone. Just bought some Four Star light cut compound from Danase.