PDA

View Full Version : I`m Giving Up on trying Sealant on Polished Wheels

pingable
05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Awhile back, a poster mentioned that on high polished wheels, they are more suspectiable to *absorbtion* and that in general, high polished uncoated wheels require just that......high maintence *aka* more metal polishing.

Over the last couple of years, I have tried various sealants *AIO/SG, Zaino*, etc after a full metal polish but water spotting was common. While it kept the oxidation to a minimum, the water spotting was always there.

For the past month, I have touched up wheels twice. After polishing them to a high mirror shine, all I`ve done every 2 weeks, is to take the metal polish and give it a light polish to snuff things up. Dunno if it`s the *oils* in this metal polish that I`m using, but polishing is a breeze and without putting any sealant on them, the oils still keep the rims in check.

So this looks like this will be my new detail regimine. Polish till perfection, and just a little here and there every 2 weeks and just keep ontop on it!

My new favorite metal polish is Heavy Metal Polish ! I also picked up their medium cut polish....but haven`t found something I could use on it.

Crusader101
05-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I think that your experience with polished wheels may apply to paint as well, at least in my case. I`m switching my regimen from sealant (Klasse) to a polish/wax combo.

Black240SX
05-06-2007, 10:35 PM
I`m thinking of giving up on sealants and going back to waxes as well, due to the water spotting issue.

Crusader101
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Waxing is more effort, but what the heck, detailing is a hobby after all.

SVR
05-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Can`t see why sealants wouldn`t last for a few months at minimum

if you apply a good base and apply the sealant over the top of the base and let sit for some time, they should cure and protect very well

Sure my wheels aren`t those highly polished ones but they don`t spot or fade at all

Just a couple coats of ceramic sealant does the job beautifully.