PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Caprice Detail questions...

lookout4theyeti
05-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey all, new to the site, fairly new to detailing. I`ve been browsin around here for a while now, and am a member of a few other forums for my 2000 camaro. However, we also have a 1979 caprice classic that was my grandfathers and the paint is in need of some help.

The car only has 49k on it, and it is garaged for winters. There are no visual blemishes in the paint, other than it hasn`t had a good cleaning since... well im not sure its had anything more than just a basic car wash. My dad tells me that the paint doesn`t have clearcoat? Something different about the paint they used back then, they didnt use any clear... Anyways, my questions are:

1: is it safe to use a claybar on this paint?

2: What specific steps would you all recommend me to take in detailing this vehicle?

3: Not as important, but it has chrome bumpers. What steps should I take in cleaning these and getting them to shine nicely? I am assuming that any polish will do the trick with these?

Keep in mind I do not have a porter cable, only your cheap autozone buffer. Soon this summer I will be getting a pc if money allows, but with college bills I have to watch my cash.

Accumulator
05-06-2007, 10:49 AM
..[referring to an original `79 Caprice]..1: is it safe to use a claybar on this paint?

Yes but be very gentle as the paint might be soft (unless it`s white, which would be very hard).

2: What specific steps would you all recommend me to take in detailing this vehicle?

Be very gentle, it`s only original once and I`d rather have imperfect original than perfect restored. I`d find an autobody/paint supply place (or order online) and get some Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze (never mind the name, it`s a mild polish). Use that and the top with wax. If you can`t find the #80 you can use #9 or even Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner, but they won`t work as well (by a long shot IMO).

3: Not as important, but it has chrome bumpers. What steps should I take in cleaning these and getting them to shine nicely? I am assuming that any polish will do the trick with these?

All chrome polishes aren`t the same. You might like something from Mother`s or Meguiar`s NXT line, both are OTC products that work well. I`d top the polish with wax.

Oh, and welcome to Autopia! That Caprice sounds like a really cool car to still have in the family.