PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe?

whiteWRX
05-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi,

I was at my GFs the other day when I say her neighbor cleaning his car. Went over said hi and saw his car was COVERED in tar :scared: . Apparently he drove through a `puddle` tar and it basically coated 70% of the lower half of the finish, all over the wheels, plastic trim, etc.

I had talk to him about claying and other products that may help, but then he pulled out a product that suprized me - Mineral Spirits!

It basically melted the tar off (including from the plastics) and was good as new.

So my question is - is this bad for the paint?

If not, I am picking some up tomorrow!

metload1
05-05-2007, 11:37 PM
From my personal experience it is safe for the paint. I started using it after I found out how good it worked from some other members. It`s a good cheap alternative if you end up needing cleaning power like that.

whiteWRX
05-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Cool. I worry that it might dissolve some of the clear coat though. Any one measure this with a paint gauge?

Junebug
05-06-2007, 08:36 AM
I`m no chemist, but I think mineral spirits doesn`t affect clear coat because of the make-up of paint. Kinda like an oil/water thing.

BlueLibby04
05-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Just be sure to give everything a good coat of polish and wax after putting something like that on the paint. :chuckle:

DaGonz
05-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Body shops use prep-sol and other similar products to remove wax from areas where they have to blend paint. It`s basically the same "stuff" as mineral spirits...

salty
05-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I`ve used it for over 13 years with no problems. Sometimes dwelling for up to 5 min. I have never had it soften paint. Acetone or laquar thinner will soften instantly.

I use Varsol a brand of mineral spirits. Spray all tar on vehicle, dwell for a minute then try to wipe off. If it is fresh tar it will wipe of instantly. If old it might take a minute.