PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Run Off from Cleaning the Engine

imported_hooked
05-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I am considering cleaning my car`s engine for the first time using degreaser and rinsing it off. My question is...do I have to worry about the run off staining the driveway?

How do you pros handle this when you`re detailing a customer`s car in his/her house. The last thing you need is a call from an irate client that you left greasy stains on the driveway.

stiffdogg06
05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
When finished cleaning or in the middle of start spraying towards to grass/street; unless you`re in a water restriction area.:scared:

You should`t have to worry about it though, unless I mean the motor is CAKED in oil/sludge

kastanaras
05-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah usally the engine is more coverd in dust. Yesteday I degreased the underneath of a car coverd in dirt, built up mud and oil and the only thing which needed clean up after was the mud and not any oil.

And clean up is so easy if you have high pressure cleaner than you just move all the mess to closet drain or grass.

61iwon
05-08-2007, 09:00 AM
I had a very dirty engine in my `61 corvette i got from someone and went to clean the engine & compartment. I sprayed it with gunk I believe. When I rinsed it off in the street, I had a huge mess!! Oil and grease really bad, built a little oil water separator with dirt dam and got most of it contained.

Learned my lesson, if you have a very dirty engine, spray with gunk or whatever you use and take to the car wash and use the pressure to clean and leave the mess there.

Keep the runoff into the streets just to the wash & rinse water. If the water goes to the grass even better.

Paulie Walnuts
05-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Id be more worried about what contaminants you are putting into the environment.

Dan
05-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Just use carboard, fold up the sides to create a little dam. That should contain most of the mess, then toss it in the trash.