PDA

View Full Version : The more I read the more I ?????

TGinMS
05-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Here`s my 1st post.... I would like to apply wax using a machine polisher to maintain the finish on my `07 Infiniti G-35, what is the best machine to do this, and what application pad works best for wax on a new car finish?

Thanks!

whiteWRX
05-05-2007, 04:02 PM
PC is really your only option. I have experimented with application via PC versus hand and found no real difference in looks or durability. Applying by hand saves way more product (i.e. is more efficient) and time (less clean up). If you do decide to apply by machine, check out the LC red pads - no cut, basically designed for this.

Black240SX
05-05-2007, 04:19 PM
TGinMS: were you thinking of using a cleaner wax, as opposed to a pure wax? Cleaner waxes contain abrasives and machine polishing helps a lot in using them.

I believe most people here prefer to use separate paint cleaners and pure waxes, though.

As whiteWRX mentioned, a PC is a great tool for paint maintenance.

Axtellboy
05-05-2007, 04:28 PM
TGinMS-I`ve read "a million" posts here, and as noted in the title to your thread, it sometimed seemed (especially early on) that I just raised more questions in my mind the more I read. But, the basic steps are not all that complicated. The "learning center" here contains some very good articles, and those "step by step" instructions can be easier to follow than trying to pick it up by reading threads.

Bottom line, almost everyone will say that you don`t need a machine to apply wax or sealant, but using a Porter Cable random orbital machine will make polishing and swirl-reduction much easier and more productive. With my PC, I use a couple of types of Mequiars pads, and Mequiars polish (e.g., 80, 81, 83), but others brands are popular as well (see the marketplace here). For new paint, you might not need any swirl-reduction at this stage, but claying would probably be productive. As your car ages, marring and swirling will likely occur (although proper washing and drying will minimize/delay problems), and you should then take steps to correct those problems, using the PC.

TGinMS
05-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for all the replies with the helpful advise! Black240SX, since the car is new I assume that I should use a pure wax and not a cleaner, right?

To remove the wax, is it better to use a PC or do it by hand? Who is the best on-line source to get a Porter Cable?

Thanks again!

whiteWRX
05-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Let me elaborate a bit more....

A PC is not necessary for applying a pure wax or sealant (i.e. no real benefit). I find even if a car is brand new it can still benefit from a good cleaner wax such as Klasse AIO. SO your best bet if there are no swirls on your car is to wash, clay (very important for new cars), use an AIO via PC and then seal by hand.

Autopia has some good `beginner` kits that include a couple of pads, buffer, backing plate, etc. Autogeek also has some kits worth checking out.

My suggestion is to not cheap out initially, you end up paying way more with shipping etc. in the long run.

Hope this (http://autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html) helps:ca