PDA

View Full Version : How much pressure to apply when washing

mikebai1990
05-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I`ve always used very little pressure when washing our cars with Meguiars Gold Class shampoo. I`ve recently switched to using grout sponges, and I`ve been able to use one sponge to produce lots of foam, and another to clean the paint. I`ve noticed that when I wash softly and gently, the water beading isn`t that great after rinsing the car off. I experimented putting more pressure and thoroughly cleaning the surface (multiple passes back and forth), and I got much better water beading.

We do have a pollen infested tree which the cars are parked under, and I suppose this is what`s laying the film of whatever-it-is on the car. If there`s just dirt, I`m sure that a gentle wash would get it right off. But with the sap and pollen, it seems like I have to apply lots of pressure to get the surface clean. Is this normal?

When I apply lots of pressure, I`m always worried about marring the paint, so I may be considering using a clay bar to clean the surface next time instead...

thesacrifice
05-05-2007, 12:59 PM
with a sheepskin mitt I use barely any pressure. If something needs that much pressure to come off the car, I`ll come back and get it with something else later (clay, bug tar remover , etc)