PDA

View Full Version : Good videos on rotary use?

Pages : [1] 2

whiteWRX
05-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Hi,

just got my rotary and I`m looking for a good instructional video. I`ve already watched the Maguires and would like more details.

Saw this (http://www.topoftheline.com/auto-detailing-video.html) and wanted to get some opinions.

Due to the lack of good videos on the net I believe I will make one (after a little practice) and post it on youtube.

Thanx

imported_DieselMDX
05-05-2007, 01:39 AM
i have looked at that for a long time but 40 bux for a video is alot of money esp considering i dont know if it is any good

Black Diamond
05-05-2007, 01:49 AM
I really don`t think that video is what you want. It covers way too many subjects. Not that I have any oppisition to TOL, but it is a branded item and i`m sure it pushes a lot of their product lines.

bobbyp
05-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Try these:

Porter Cable Random Orbital Video Demo (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/pc.html)

Car Detailing Videos (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/autogeek/)

JohnLINY
05-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi,

just got my rotary and I`m looking for a good instructional video. I`ve already watched the Maguires and would like more details.

Saw this (http://www.topoftheline.com/auto-detailing-video.html) and wanted to get some opinions.

Due to the lack of good videos on the net I believe I will make one (after a little practice) and post it on youtube.

Thanx

whiteWRX I have searched all over the net (forums, utube, etc.) and I have not found a good rotary video for free. All the free videos are great for the PC RO polisher.

I ordered the one you linked to. It got good reviews on a few detailing websites and is the most reasonable priced. Topoftheline.com has the best price I could find for it. The shipping they charge you in the cart gets mostly refunded because it is such a light item. I think shipping was like $2. Meguiare`s has a video that is supposed to be good but it is on VCR tape. I don`t even know where my VCR is anymore! I also checked ebay and there was a few cheaper dvds on buffing but no idea if they are any good.

Nica
05-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi,

Thanx

I purchased this video because I too steped up to the rotary. I would strongly recomend this video. Actually I wish I would have purchased it before I moved up to the rotary. Since I have been experimenting with the rotary and achiving good results the video was a check up on the things that I have learned so far. It offers good tips and what I really enjoyed is that it goes through the properties of paint and it explains what to look for when inspecting paint. Some scratches you can work with others, well no have no hope.

I would rate it 9 out of 10. I wish it had wet sanding.

Well that`s just my opinion but the video gets my :bigups

whiteWRX
05-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanx Nica,

So how in depth is the rotary sectioned compared to the Maguires videos on this site? I want to see tricks on side panels, awkward areas, plastic and so on. Will this vid provide?

JohnLINY
05-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I actually got my dvd in the mail today. Pretty fast shipping. Did a quick preview through a the chapters on my laptop. Excellent instructional video. I have not seen anything like it for the rotary on line that was even close. There are a ton of tips and tricks. Actually much easier to see it on video rather than reading it online or something. It covers everything from paint, products, pad types, prep, technique, finishing, and more. Looking forward to really watching and learning from it. I would highly recommend it for someone new to the rotary.

phahn
05-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I really don`t think that video is what you want. It covers way too many subjects. Not that I have any oppisition to TOL, but it is a branded item and i`m sure it pushes a lot of their product lines.

It actually doesn`t push any TOL or Hi-temp (their house brands), its actually made by Kevin Farrel of Kleen car, who uses mainly Optimum products. I would give this video a 9 out of 10, as well. Well worth the purchase price if you are planning on learning the rotary.

Pete

pt91
05-06-2007, 08:22 AM
I got the same DVD from Danase. Well worth it if you are starting out with a rotary.

Nica
05-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Wow that`s great that some members purchased it and feel the same way I feel about it.

I agree with all of you pt91,Han and JohnLINY. It shows great tips and goes through every process in detail.

whitewrx - What I like about the video is that it gives you pointers as to what to do with those lower panels. When I say lower I`m talking about the panels underneath the doors. It explains how to position your boddy and how to hold the machine. I found this interresting because every time I did a vehicle I never looked forward to these areas, now it`s a walk in the park. I also like how it shows you the inspection of the paint, what to look out for and what you could correct and what you should try to correct but don`t expect any miracles. I enjoyed the explenation of the paint and how it`s all put together. I`ll be doing a review shortly, still working on it.

whiteWRX
05-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Sweet,

Thanx dudes for the input :up

Car24
05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
It actually doesn`t push any TOL or Hi-temp (their house brands), its actually made by Kevin Farrel of Kleen car, who uses mainly Optimum products. I would give this video a 9 out of 10, as well. Well worth the purchase price if you are planning on learning the rotary.

Pete You are correct. This video is not produced by TOL. We believe Kevin made a comprehensive first run at an entire series. We are pushing him to continue with his efforts and move to the interior.

Side Note: Hi-Temp is actually not our house professional line. We have our own TOL "pro" products. We are the only on-line business that can carry Hi-Temp.

PS I also have a Subaru! My dogs and I love the Baja.

Nica
05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
No to get off topic but that Hi-Temp stuff sounds interesting, I`m surprised it`s so cheap too. Will be trying it out soon.

Now back to topic, so Car24 your saing that Kevin may be doing a interior video as well? Sounds interesting.

Thanks for the info

Car24
05-07-2007, 02:20 PM
No to get off topic but that Hi-Temp stuff sounds interesting, I`m surprised it`s so cheap too. Will be trying it out soon.

Now back to topic, so Car24 your saing that Kevin may be doing a interior video as well? Sounds interesting.

Thanks for the info I think he`ll be willing if this video is successful for him. It takes a lot of time to do it right.

The Hi-Temp is reasonably priced because it is a professional line. The manufacturer has been in business for over 25 years and the first to develop paint "levelers". They also make one of the finest body shop lines in the country. In other words, they really know paint correction.