PDA

View Full Version : Design defect with CMA CCS 6.5" pads?

Pages : [1] 2 3

tstead
05-04-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a number of 6.5" LC CCS pads that I ordered from CMA 2 months ago. I noticed something alarming with the pads and now I`m almost too freaked out to use them. CMA uses a blue "constant pressure foam" that is bonded to the pad foam. When I feel the edge of the pad at the interface of the two foams, it seems hard to me. I`m afraid that if I were to accidentally rub the edge of the pad against another panel (for example, the side mirror when working on the door or the trunk when working on the bumper) even lightly that it would scratch the bezeeses out of it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I freaking out over nothing? I really like the curved edge of the 6.5" pad that seems to be a CMA exclusive. It made transitioning across various surfaces (like on my hood) very easy. Do the CCS pads sold by others with a straight side (no curve) glide easily over transitions, too?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

imported_bpfoley
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
the only thing I have noticed with the newer pads is the velcro backing is terrible. My old flat and curved pads would withstand machine washing and many uses on the PC @ speed 6 for hours on end. :nixweiss:

tstead
05-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Does anyone else have any experiences with these pads?

cjv998
05-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I just got some 6.5" CCS pads from CMA (in a package deal with my PC), and the edges of the white pads are a little hard, but the red and black ones seem okay. On a similar note, it looks like they aren`t LC brand pads (the pockets in the pad aren`t as deep, and the backing has "Hi-Gloss Professional" written on it). I thought CCS was a Lake Country patented process? I`m a little bummed out, because I heard so many good things about LC pads.

tstead
05-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes they are LC pads. LC just screens the felt backing to say whatever the purchaser (in this case, CMA) wants.

If you felt the desire, you could have a couple hundred pads made for you that said whatever you wanted on them.

Tim

tstead
05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
I have used the 6.5" CCS pads from CMA and have not been happy with them. The felt keeps separating from the white pads and the blue constant pressure foam on the orange pad has started to come apart. I am not happy especially given that these are fairly new pads but it could just be me - your results may vary. I do like the curved edge of the CMA pads, though.

Anyhow, I need to find different pads and was considering the

following:

1. 5" CCS pads from Danase.com

2. 7.5" CCS pads from whomever

3. 6.5" CCS pads from autogeek, autopia, or similar

4. Edge pads

These will be used only on a PC as I am not going to get a rotary until later this summer and then I`ll be getting a lot of practice on some panels from a local scrap yard.

I`ve read many times that bigger is not better with the PC because smaller pads correct better than larger ones. If true, it makes no sense to use a 7.5" pad on the PC.

What are your thoughts/suggestions for me as I search for another pad supplier?

Tim

EBPcivicsi
05-08-2007, 08:22 PM
I had a problem with a green CCS pad from CMA--the velcro delaminated after about 5 uses. They offered to take it back and replace it, but I don`t have time to send things back. I chalked it up as a lesson learned and will now buy the regular, flat CCS pads from other vendors. It`s a shame really, the perfect pad would be just as CMA has designed, but with the black "forever bond" velcro backing.

ptaylor_9849
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I`ve had lots of problems with CMA LC Pads. Yes my edges are also very hard and sharp but more importantly the velcro backing comes apart very easily which makes them unusable. Moreover, they begin to seperate at higher PC speeds and fall apart. I have returned a number of defective pads and I`m growing tired of it.

Patrick

jmsc
05-08-2007, 09:15 PM
I ordered 1 each of the 6.5 Y/O/G/W/BLK/R CCS pads from CMA about a month or 2 ago. I used only the green one 3-4 times. It seems to have a rough spot where its delaminated but I`ve not had any issues with separation...not yet at least. I hand wash only and allow them to dry over-nite. They are better (less PC hop, smoother, good cleaning action) over the older style LC pads. I will just have to be extra careful and cognizant when I approach panels/mirrors with the edges of the CCS pads. Thanks for the heads-up tstead.

Not a happy camper over this design flaw from CMA/LC.

klnyc
05-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh man what a shame.. I myself just ordered 4 of those 4" CCS spot pads. I hope these doesnt fly out. I want to test it out this weekend.

Thomas Dekany
05-08-2007, 09:42 PM
I had a problem with a green CCS pad from CMA--the velcro delaminated after about 5 uses. They offered to take it back and replace it, but I don`t have time to send things back. I chalked it up as a lesson learned and will now buy the regular, flat CCS pads from other vendors. It`s a shame really, the perfect pad would be just as CMA has designed, but with the black "forever bond" velcro backing.

Same here. I ordered 3 green pads before xmas and after a few details the velcro came right off. I guess I need to call them. I do have time to return things. :D

tstead
05-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Funny story here....I returned one white pad because of the felt coming off and I was using the replacement this weekend. I washed it once - car wash soap like they say to use, hang wrung it out and set it aside to dry to eat lunch. I come back, slap it on my PC and spin at speed of 1 and slowly increase speed to 3. I then started buffing a panel and shortly afterwards, the PC started to vibrate really bad and the pad looked like it was moving strangely - it didnt seem concentric anymore. I was at speed 4.5 - 5.0 and immediately removed it from my paint. Just then, the pad flew off and landed in the street.

I hung my head.

My wife was watching from the house. She laughed.

I finished with my 4" CCS pads from CMA which I absolutley love. I`ve used them twice as much as the 6.5" pads and the velcro on those is holding like a champ!

tstead
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
So...what about the 5" CCS pads from Danase or the 6" edge pads? How do they compare with the CS pads in terms of handling, skip, perfrmance, durability, etc?

SpoiledMan
05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
For reference, I`m having NO issues with my 6.5" CCS pads purchased from Autogeek.

rkf76
05-09-2007, 01:51 AM
I noticed problems with my LC CCS pads from CMA after the very first use. I have gotten separation between the constant pressure foam and the pad itself, and also the velcro backing is coming unglued as well.