PDA

View Full Version : Why glazes effect durability or not or any LSP product

Pages : [1] 2

pingable
05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
As I start to overanalyze the process, the function of a glaze is to add shine and fill/levels fine scratches.

Why would a `nuba topper be compatiable with glazes as a LSP product if the glaze itself is a slight oil film ? Does the oil just mix *literally* well with the `Nuba when applied . Or more importantly, does the life of the LSP always get`s shortned on the durability factor if applied to a glaze painted surface as opposed to a bare painted surface ?

I guess the would apply to some sealants, as I can see some posters have been using a glaze under certain sealants as well.

TigerMike
05-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Traditional glazes mix just fine with carnauba, mostly because both glazes and carnaubas utilize a mix of oils to bring out a shine. Plus carnauba doesn`t actually "bond" to a surface, like a polymer sealant will, it just lays on the surface more or less. So, there`s usually no problems mixing the two and in fact has been a recommended technique for many years for traditional waxes.

Technically, glazes shouldn`t be used with sealants (at least sealants without oils), as the sealant won`t bond to a painted surface with the oils, which could/will impair durability. Many of today`s sealants though are loaded with oils and therefore negates this to a degree, but some others have less tolerance for an oily surface.

Of course, there are some newer type glaze formulations out that may work in all situations, but I`m broadly referring to traditional glazes in my experience.

BobD
05-04-2007, 09:28 AM
It really all depends on the glaze you are using. Read the info. on our Wet Glaze and you will see how ours is different and better than most glazes on the market:

Danase Wet Glaze (http://store.danase.com/daspgl1pi.html)

Gen2
05-04-2007, 10:41 AM
I have applied RMG and VM under Collinite #885 and did not notice any change in durability :) .

maesal
05-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I also applied RMG + EX-P + CMW in a customer car and he reported that the durability was very good...

bronze2006
05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
It really all depends on the glaze you are using. Read the info. on our Wet Glaze and you will see how ours is different and better than most glazes on the market:

Danase Wet Glaze (http://store.danase.com/daspgl1pi.html)

What are the filling capabilities of this glaze?

pingable
05-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I plan to ABC myself one of these days to see what works for me on the beater

Danase/OS

RMG#16

RMG#476

Imatk
05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Hmm I just ordered some RMG, if I`m using something like Zaino should I not use the RMG?

pingable
05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Definately Not. Z will not bond properly with RMG.

However, I have not used Danas`e glaze .....which may possibly work well, however, I would not know the durability of Z as a topper. I do plan to do a similar test with Danase and a different sealant.

joshtpa
05-04-2007, 12:07 PM
You can top RMG with Carnuba Moose and it looks amazing.

bill57
05-04-2007, 08:37 PM
How about Opti-seal - will that bond to a glaze? I was thinking of trying Opti-seal over something like Megs #9, or over one of the 3M products containing fillers.

JohnLINY
05-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Has anyone used Menzerna`s glaze under FMJ? How has it held up? Thanks!

Fallz
05-05-2007, 10:54 AM
You can top RMG with Carnuba Moose and it looks amazing.

What about VM ( glaze ) with CMW over it.

What does the RMG glaze actually do , I`ve not noticed a difference. I glazed with VM , then RMG ( which seemed to take away some of the shine/depth ) them topped with CMW.

InfamousDX
05-09-2007, 11:10 AM
I`m also interested in what to use over RMG (if anything). I do have 845 and P21S....

bxtreme
05-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Interesting topic, I plan on doing the following:

RMG > Souveran Paste > Opti-Seal

Any reason not to?