PDA

View Full Version : Normal to have hairline scratches after clear bra install?

Pages : [1] 2

Going Mobile
05-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Just got my new car and had a clear bra installed using 3M products. I actually got the full works and had the full hood and front fenders covered. However, now I am regretting it as I am not happy at all with the results. :furious: I am hoping it gets better so maybe you guys could shed some light. I know that the air bubbles and strech marks should get better after a couple of days, but my problem are the numerous scratch looking marks all over my entire hood. It had NO sctraches when I brought it in and I had used Zaino All in ONe and Z5 prior to bringing it to them. Its hard to tell if the scratches are under or on the film, but I think it is on top. Maybe his applicator did it, I don`t know. But can they be removed. I did a quick hand polish job on a small area with a applicator pad using zaino all in one and it didn`t help.

So is this something I will have to live with or did my installer do a bad job?

01bluecls
05-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Hard to tell without seeing it in person. Clear Bra`s are just like paint but I have found that they are extremely soft and get swirls and light scratches easily.

Just02
05-03-2007, 08:33 PM
How long did it take for him to install the bra?

Regardless, give it a week or two and leave it in the sun, which should help the water evaporate.

When you mentioned you had the hood, fenders, bumper, etc done. Do you mean you had the ENTIRE fender and hood covered? What color car do you have. Have any pics of the issues?

Also, the 3M material for automotive applications has a clearcoat on it, so you should be able to use something like Z-PC for scratches. I`ve heard people going this route, you could also try Plexus. Just remember, go easy.

Also, they "lovingly" washed your car before they did the install, which could have put some nice scratches in your clear. However, I would think the 3M material would hide these swirls.

Just wondering, does the 3M stuff have a heavy orange peel texture or is it almost impossible to see? My parents have the Ventureshield stuff, and, although it`s freakishly clear, I don`t believe it has a clear coat to polish. :think2

stiffdogg06
05-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Maybe the scratches are deeper than AIO can get...:think2

And above I think the guy maybe right. They would wash the car or atleast the part getting the clear bra. So who knows what they used to get it cleaned before the install...

Sorry to hear about it tho!

Good Luck!

Andy

Going Mobile
05-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, it better not be scratched from there washing. I will take them to small claims court if so cause the scratched it good.

I have black metallic (Black Saphire on a BMW 335). Yea, maybe the all in one is to mild. I think it took him all day to do the install and yes, I do have the full hood kit, but I was dupped with that too, cause it actually ends about 8 inches from the top and they use a 2nd piece to complete the upper end, so I have two ends edge to edge, which doesn`t line up all the way on the ends. But I am more worried about all these small scratches, they aren`t circular swirls, but long lines in different directions.

Any other ideas? Maybe I can show it to one of his competitors for an opinion.

mrduke
05-03-2007, 10:28 PM
I have a 3M clear bra on my Tango Red 2007 CRV. I also had some scratches and scuffs on the top of the clear bra after the installation. They polished out quite easily using Jeffs Werkstatt Prime:Strong with either a DA polisher and white foam polishing pad, or I have also used the Prime:Strong and a foam applicator pad by hand.

I have noticed that the clear bra is much more susceptible to scuffs and scratches than the clearcoat on the paint itself. Sometimes even using a quick detail spray and plush microfiber cloth to take dust off will induce fine lines on the clear bra, but do perfectly fine on the paint.

I know I will be polishing the clear bra with the Prime:Strong much more often than the rest of the car. Probably just by hand.

I would not recommend using too abrasive of a polish, or one with harsh solvents.

As far as the bubbles go, I had one spot that wasn`t really bubbled, but did appear a different color under certain lighting. I believe all of the lubricating solution used when installing was not pushed out completely. I showed the spot to the installer, and he recommended to give it some time and leave it sit in the sun some times. He said he would replace the clearbra if it didn`t clear up to my satisfaction. The spot has improved with time.

Hope this helps!

Duke

Going Mobile
05-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks Duke, it does help and will make me sleep better to night :) YOur description seems spot on with what I think too. I just took pics and was about to post them. Ignore the water spots as they told me not to wash it for 24 hours. Bubbles may also be noticeable, but I hear they will fade. The first pic also shows where the two hood pieces join, so that`s a edge not a scratch, but it does portray how noticeable the scratches are compared to the edges :cry: So were these scratches similar to what you experienced but then got them out.

I may go out and buy the Jeffs Werkstatt Prime:Strong this weekend and give it a try. Need to find where though first.

Just02
05-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Well, it better not be scratched from there washing. I will take them to small claims court if so cause the scratched it good.

I have black metallic (Black Saphire on a BMW 335). Yea, maybe the all in one is to mild. I think it took him all day to do the install and yes, I do have the full hood kit, but I was dupped with that too, cause it actually ends about 8 inches from the top and they use a 2nd piece to complete the upper end, so I have two ends edge to edge, which doesn`t line up all the way on the ends. But I am more worried about all these small scratches, they aren`t circular swirls, but long lines in different directions.

Any other ideas? Maybe I can show it to one of his competitors for an opinion.

You should be able to polish those out, like the poster above suggested, with a strong final polish (jeff werkstatts prime (probably not strong enough) and prime strong are excellent) or a very light polish.

Check the documentation that explained what and how the clearbra was to be installed. If he/she said full hood, that`s the full hood... there should be no lines, and there should only be one piece of material (if your hood is 4` long, front of the hood to the back, that should be covered. 3M automotive film comes in widths of up to 48").

If I was in your position, I`d tell him or her that you`re extremely unhappy with the install and see what he or she says. Don`t accept anything less then perfection! If you want to, you can look into installing it yourself.

:(

mrduke
05-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Most of those lines look worse than what I had. You really won`t know if they are above or below the film until you try to polish them out. If they are above, you should be able to get them out. If they are below, I certainly would demand a new installation, making sure that the paint surface was defect free before they apply the film. I believe that the lines are caused when they use the squeegee to push out the water and lubricant from beneath the film during installation. You may also want to try Plexus, which is a plastic polish, on the clear bra.

I would not accept the 2 piece covering of the hood. There will be things like dust, dirt, polish, sealant and wax residue that get in the seams, and could be a problem to remove. Even residue along the edge can be hard to remove.

Duke

pingable
05-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Your pics to me show that is NOT normal. Is the installer of of the clearbra a professional auto detailer as well.

I have seen plenty of CB jobs including mine come out of the best clear bra shops out here in the Northeast. No scratches on the film and very Minimal bubbles from the slip solution. While those bubbles may go away , those scratches in the film look pretty bad IMO...

Going Mobile
05-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I think he only had one year experience, but didn`t know that until I talked to him last night. They know I`m not happy and I was real hesitant about paying them. I am also not happy with 3M which I feel was deceptive in their advertisment/website to me and the installer about the full hood coverage. I never would have bought the thing if I knew it didn`t cover the entire hood, which was the only reason I bought it (didn`t want to see the edges). I told him if I can`t get the lines out I will call 3M about my warranty and try to get it resolved.

Can I only buy this plexus and wekstatt online?

Broom
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Hmm....I had my 3M film installed about 3 weeks ago and mine did not have scratches as obvious as yours. You cannot even see the minor(very minor swirls) unless you use flourescent light and your face is about 3 inches away from the film. They have different definitions for `entire front hood` installations. My only came from bumpers to about 12 inches of the hood. Luckily, there is a natural division on my hood that the ends sits on, so you can barely see the thing.

I had an issue with mine though at first. My film had slight imperfections in it and I took it back. They replaced the whole thing without questions asked.

Your scratches look like real scratches and not just swirls. I would take them back and have them replace it.

paul34
05-04-2007, 01:07 PM
funny, your clear bra install isn`t too different from my tint install (similar process). I guess we both just got crappy jobs. I also had dried soap all over my outside paint and inside panels, too (all over the doors).

In retrospect, I should have never given the tinter a $10 tip...

Broom
05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
OK..according to my 3M installer ......another suggestion for light scratches that occur on the surface of the material is to:

1. Apply isopropyl alcohol 70% to surface.

2. Massage in with microfiber towel for 30-60 sec.

3. Wipe down excess alcohol with dry microfiber until the surface is entirely dry.

You can also use a q-tip to remove excess buildup in edges.

klnyc
05-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I have 3m CB on my 2007 Outback too. I have 2"-4" of hair line too.. I used Plexus and Z-AIO, I got it out with out any effort. I use LC 6" white pad on a PC, set the speed at 4.