PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean Bug Guts from Bumpers/Grills?

imported_smprince1
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, it`s bug season again and I`m seeing a lot of cars plastered with bug guts.

I`ve tried pre-treating the bugs with Megs Detailer Line Body Shop Solvent and Tarminator, but I`m not satisfied with the results. I also use paint-friendly scrubbers/sponges designed for bug removal, but I would think some tyope of effective pre-treatment would make bug removal more efficient. My current wash is Megs Gold Class which I find to be very mild so this doesn`t cut the bugs much either.

What is everyone using to quickly remove bug guts on the grills and bumpers these days??

Any paint friendly solvents that are effective?

Any cash wash shampoos that get it done (even if they strip wax).

Thanks for any info.

xtremekustomz
05-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Some are harder to get off than others but if they have been left on there a really long time they sometimes eat into the paint. I`vd always used a bug and tar remover and had good results unless they were etched into the paint. If that is the case you usually can`t get them out from my experiences anyway. Maybe some of these other guys that do it for a living can help.

imported_altez
05-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Here is one I`ve heard works well but haven`t tried - soak a microfiber towel in warm water and lay it on top of the bug spots for about 30 minutes to an hour. Remove towel and try to gently scrub off.

Spot claying works for me though.

sixty7mustang22
05-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I use a bug and tar remover. Just spray it on, let it sit and then wipe it off with a m/f. I clay if I have to, but it is rare.

The best thing to do is keep the area waxed. Maybe wax just the front bumper every couple of weeks.

imported_smprince1
05-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I use a bug and tar remover. Just spray it on, let it sit and then wipe it off with a m/f. I clay if I have to, but it is rare.

The best thing to do is keep the area waxed. Maybe wax just the front bumper every couple of weeks.

Which bug and tar remover?

I clay also, but would rather get the bulk of the bugs off during the wash process if possible.

Agree on keeping the area waxed ... but I`m talking about cleaning other people`s vehicles.

sixty7mustang22
05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Which bug and tar remover?

I use Turtle Wax bug and tar remover.

trl2112
05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Poorboy’s Bug Squash

Macruz19
05-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I spray some water then wipe with a MF, or I use JW Quick Wash with a MF. Sometimes I`ll use Z-6. Thank God I have a clearbra too. It does help..

Seankf1105
05-02-2007, 04:42 PM
i use some diluted APC and a bug sponge but only if i plan on waxing right after the prep

Seankf1105
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
i use some diluted APC and a bug sponge but only if i plan on waxing right after

Woob
05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
1)Bug Squash 3:1

2)Wash with Soap

3) APC > WD40> Goof Off