PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for some really bad paint?

Pages : [1] 2

RyanDe680
05-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I have an upcoming car to work on this weekend. I went to go see it yesterday. It is a BMW 325ix, silver and is a `91.

Here are a few pics:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/xBKTx/05-1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/xBKTx/04-1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/xBKTx/02-1.jpg

I went and checked out the car yesterday and the whole body is in the same shape. The paint feels either very oxidized without showing terrible white spots of destruction or has no clearcoat left.

I am contemplating 1 of 2 solutions:

1. Compounding with some OHC and an orange pad

2. Wetsanding and starting from the very beginning.

I am not sure I want to wetsand the whole car because I am unsure as to what is left of the clearcoat (if any) as well as the thickness of the paint. I am going to try the OHC and orange pad first.

Any suggestions? I think I can manage this, but am curious as to what you guys think as well.

Thanks. :up

velobard
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
It already has a good start, you might was well finish it the rest of the way with a Brillo pad. :soscared:

RyanDe680
05-02-2007, 11:08 AM
It looks as if the previous owner either used a Brillo pad or steel wool, it was that bad.

Funny thing is that a lot of scratches passed the finger nail test somehow...

imported_steveo3002
05-02-2007, 11:36 AM
you know ive seen the same effect on older cheapie paint jobs, chances are that would polish and look okay and then return to looking bad within a few weeks

bet its a bad paint/clear job and not brillo pad marks

imported_themightytimmah
05-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Looks like some sort of paint failure.... go OHC/Orange and hope for the best.

imported_steveo3002
05-02-2007, 11:47 AM
id advise the owner that the effect may well return anytime soon

admac
05-02-2007, 11:48 AM
wow, the closeups look like brushed stainless steel. crazy.

ZeroDfx
05-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I`ve owned two BMW`s of that generation and the clearcoat peeled on both of them. The first was an `86 535i and the clear started peeling off the roof, trunk, and hood in that order, leaving a flat color finish showing. Same thing is happening on an 87 535is that my son is driving.

BMW must not have had their paint process worked out properly in those years. Looks to me like your 3 series had similar problems and someone may have tried to deal with it quite unsuccessfully. That is clearly going to be a challenge and I`d doubt if you can get it back to "original". It goes beyond owner neglect to some type of paint issue.

Good luck.

RyanDe680
05-02-2007, 02:38 PM
wow, the closeups look like brushed stainless steel. crazy.

Haha, great comparison. It actually looks like the brushed aluminum trim that was available in the E46....

I am going to try and use the OHC and orange pad.

ron231
05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
You are gonna need a rotary for that, I hope you aren`t trying to do this with a pc...

Scottwax
05-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Pass on it, the paint appears to be on the verge of clearcoat failure, the paint looks really checked and crazed.

Rudd Company, Inc. - Manufacturers of quality paint and coatings since 1912. (http://www.ruddcompany.com/TScracking.php)

Definition - All of these are caused by stresses on the film and substrate.

Cracking - An advanced stage of checking or crazing whereby the breaks in the film are so deep as to expose the underlying substrate. Usually occurs as straight lines, often running with the grain.

Checking - In between cracking and crazing. Larger cracks than crazing, less total cracks than crazing, but not always seen in straight lines with the grain unlike cracking.

Crazing - The appearance of minute, interlacing cracks or checks on the surface of a dried film. Usually seen as an extreme amount of tiny cracks.

Possible Fixes for Cracking/Checking/Crazing

Strip and refinish

Sand and recoat

brwill2005
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Yup, that clear is failing.

kleraudio
05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
wow, ive never seen anything like that, i would definitely pass on that one man.

Jim

RyanDe680
05-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Pass on it, the paint appears to be on the verge of clearcoat failure, the paint looks really checked and crazed.

Rudd Company, Inc. - Manufacturers of quality paint and coatings since 1912. (http://www.ruddcompany.com/TScracking.php)

Definition - All of these are caused by stresses on the film and substrate.

Cracking - An advanced stage of checking or crazing whereby the breaks in the film are so deep as to expose the underlying substrate. Usually occurs as straight lines, often running with the grain.

Checking - In between cracking and crazing. Larger cracks than crazing, less total cracks than crazing, but not always seen in straight lines with the grain unlike cracking.

Crazing - The appearance of minute, interlacing cracks or checks on the surface of a dried film. Usually seen as an extreme amount of tiny cracks.

Possible Fixes for Cracking/Checking/Crazing

Strip and refinish

Sand and recoat

Have you seen something like this in person Scott?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it!

Scottwax
05-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Have you seen something like this in person Scott?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it!

Yes, that is why I suggested you pass on it. Odds are you will make it look worse because all those cracks will fill with whatever you polish it with. Reminds me of the full sized GMs and their checked paint on the horizontal surfaces. The whole top of the car would be dull but the sides still shiny.